Research and analysis on bid rigging mechanisms
This paper examines detected bid rigging mechanisms based on the decisions of the Japan Fair Trade Commission (JFTC) from April 1996 to December 2005. We first develop some indicators that represent important characteristics of the ring mechanism from a theoretical and empirical point of view. We then classify bid rigging cases filed by the JFTC based on these indicators. We also provide simple economic analysis using the JFTC database and find that (1) extremely simple mechanisms were adopted in many bid rigging cases detected in Japan during the period examined and (2) some ring mechanisms facilitate a reduction in information asymmetry among ring members, however such function plays a subordinate role.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Massimo Motta & Michele Polo, .
"Leniency Programs and Cartel Prosecution,"
150, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- McAfee, R Preston & McMillan, John, 1992.
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 579-99, June.
- Yeon-Koo Che & Jinwoo Kim, 2006. "Robustly Collusion-Proof Implementation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(4), pages 1063-1107, 07.
- Motta,Massimo, 2004. "Competition Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521016919, june. pag.
- Martin Pesendorfer, 2000. "A Study of Collusion in First-Price Auctions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 67(3), pages 381-411.
- Motta,Massimo, 2004. "Competition Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521816632, june. pag.
- Porter, Robert H & Zona, J Douglas, 1993.
"Detection of Bid Rigging in Procurement Auctions,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 518-38, June.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & David Martimort, 1997.
"Collusion under Asymmetric Information,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 875-912, July.
- Ikuo Ishibashi & Daisuke Shimizu, 2010. "Collusive behavior under a leniency program," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 101(2), pages 169-183, October.
- Patrick Bajari & Lixin Ye, 2003.
"Deciding Between Competition and Collusion,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 971-989, November.
- Aoyagi, Masaki, 2003. "Bid rotation and collusion in repeated auctions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 79-105, September.
- Rieko Ishii, 2008.
"Collusion in Repeated Procurement Auction: A Study of a Paving Market in Japan,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0710, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Rieko Ishii, 2007. "Collusion in Repeated Procurement Auction: a Study of Paving Market in Japan," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 07-16, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Ishii, Rieko, 2009. "Favor exchange in collusion: Empirical study of repeated procurement auctions in Japan," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 137-144, March.
- Robert H. Porter & J. Douglas Zona, 1997.
"Ohio School Milk Markets: An Analysis of Bidding,"
NBER Working Papers
6037, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:japwor:v:23:y:2011:i:1:p:1-5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.