How the EU Single Farm Payment should be modelled: lump-sum transfers, area payments or… what else?
The 2003 Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) reform radically changes the way the European Union (EU) supports its agricultural sector by decoupling direct payments. Production is no longer required to get the payment attached to Single Farm Payment (SFP) entitlements. However, the new scheme maintains a specific link between payments and hectares; in addition, SFP entitlements can be exchanged among farmers. These features question the way SFP entitlements should be regarded, hence modelled, i.e., as lump-sum transfers, area payments or… something else. We develop a microeconomic analytical framework which shows that the answer crucially depends on the total number of entitlements which are initially made available relative to the number of hectares, more specifically the number of cultivated hectares in a zero support regime, the number of cultivated hectares in a policy support regime trough per-hectare direct aids, and the number of cultivated or idled hectares in a policy regime where support is granted through direct aids per hectare and production is not required.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.rennes.inra.fr/smart_eng/Working-Papers-SMART-LERECO|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeroen Buysse & Bruno Fernagut & Olivier Harmignie & Bruno Henry de Frahan & Ludwig Lauwers & Philippe Polomé & Guido Van Huylenbroeck & Jef Van Meensel, 2007.
"Farm-based modelling of the EU sugar reform: impact on Belgian sugar beet suppliers,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 34(1), pages 21-52, March.
- Jeroen Buysse & Bruno Fernagut & Olivier Harmignie & Bruno Henry de Frahan & Ludwig Lauwers & Philippe Polomé & Guido Van Huylenbroeck & Jef Van Meensel, 2007. "Farm-based modelling of the EU sugar reform: impact on Belgian sugar beet suppliers," Post-Print halshs-00359076, HAL.
- Huettel, Silke & Kleinhanss, Werner & Offermann, Frank, 2005. "Impacts of Decoupling and Milk Quota Trade on the French and German Dairy Sectors," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24731, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bascou, Pierre & Londero, Pierluigi & Munch, Wolfgang, 2004. "Reform and Adjustment in the European Union: The 2003 Reform of the Common Agricultural Policy and Enlargement," IAPRAP\IATRC Summer Symposium, Adjusting to Domestic and International Agricultural Reform in Industrial Countries, June 6-7, 2004, Philadelphia, PA 15769, International Agricultural Policy Reform and Adjustment Project (IAPRAP).
- Gelan, Ayele & Schwarz, Gerald, 2006. "A Policy Impact Evaluation Model For Scotland: Decoupling Single Farm Payments," MPRA Paper 1491, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexandre Gohin, 2006. "Assessing CAP Reform: Sensitivity of Modelling Decoupled Policies," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 415-440.
- Joe Dewbre & Jesús Antón & Wyatt Thompton, 2001. "The Transfer Efficiency and Trade Effects of Direct Payments," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1204-1214.
- Breen, James P. & Hennessy, Thia C. & Thorne, Fiona S., 2005. "The effect of decoupling on the decision to produce: An Irish case study," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 129-144, April.
- Binfield, Julian C.R. & Westhoff, Patrick C. & Young, Robert E., II, 2003. "Reforming The Cap: A Partial Equilibrium Analysis Of The Mtr Proposals," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25856, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Balkhausen, Oliver & Banse, Martin & Grethe, Harald & Nolte, Stephan, 2005. "Modelling the Effects of Partial Decoupling on Crop and Fodder Area And Ruminant Supply in the EU: Current State and Outlook," 89th Seminar, February 2-5, 2005, Parma, Italy 231832, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Schmid, Erwin & Sinabell, Franz & Hofreither, Markus F., 2007.
"Phasing out of environmentally harmful subsidies: Consequences of the 2003 CAP reform,"
Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 596-604, January.
- Markus F. Hofreither & Erwin Schmid & Franz Sinabell, 2004. "Phasing out of Environmentally Harmful Subsidies: Consequences of the 2003 CAP Reform," WIFO Working Papers 239, WIFO.
- Oliver Balkhausen & Martin Banse & Harald Grethe, 2008. "Modelling CAP Decoupling in the EU: A Comparison of Selected Simulation Models and Results," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 57-71, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rae:wpaper:200801. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christine Mesquida)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.