A Kernel Technique for Forecasting the Variance-Covariance Matrix
The forecasting of variance-covariance matrices is an important issue. In recent years an increasing body of literature has focused on multivariate models to forecast this quantity. This paper develops a nonparametric technique for generating multivariate volatility forecasts from a weighted average of historical volatility and a broader set of macroeconomic variables. As opposed to traditional techniques where the weights solely decay as a function of time, this approach employs a kernel weighting scheme where historical periods exhibiting the most similar conditions to the time at which the forecast if formed attract the greatest weight. It is found that the proposed method leads to superior forecasts, with macroeconomic information playing an important role.
|Date of creation:||28 Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 07 3138 5066|
Fax: 07 3138 1500
Web page: http://www.ncer.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Becker Ralf & Clements Adam E & Hurn Stan, 2011. "Semi-Parametric Forecasting of Realized Volatility," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 15(3), pages 1-23, May.
- Sébastien Laurent & Jeroen Rombouts & Francesco Violente, 2009.
"On Loss Functions and Ranking Forecasting Performances of Multivariate Volatility Models,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Laurent, Sébastien & Rombouts, Jeroen V.K. & Violante, Francesco, 2013. "On loss functions and ranking forecasting performances of multivariate volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 1-10.
- Sébastien Laurent & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Francesco Violante, 2009. "On Loss Functions and Ranking Forecasting Performances of Multivariate Volatility Models," Cahiers de recherche 0948, CIRPEE.
- Sébastien Laurent & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Francesco Violante, 2010.
"On the Forecasting Accuracy of Multivariate GARCH Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Sébastien Laurent & Jeroen V. K. Rombouts & Francesco Violante, 2012. "On the forecasting accuracy of multivariate GARCH models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(6), pages 934-955, 09.
- LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen V. K. & VIOLANTE, Francesco, 2010. "On the forecasting accuracy of multivariate GARCH models," CORE Discussion Papers 2010025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ser-Huang Poon & Clive W.J. Granger, 2003. "Forecasting Volatility in Financial Markets: A Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(2), pages 478-539, June.
- Adam Clements & Mark Doolan & Stan Hurn & Ralf Becker, 2009. "Evaluating multivariate volatility forecasts," NCER Working Paper Series 41, National Centre for Econometric Research, revised 25 Nov 2009.
- Adrian R. Pagan & Kirill A. Sossounov, 2003. "A simple framework for analysing bull and bear markets," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 23-46.
- L.A. Sjaastad & F. Scacciavillani, 1995.
"The Price of Gold and the Exchange Rates,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
95-14, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8355, 01-2013.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qut:auncer:2010_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (School of Economics and Finance)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.