A Cholesky-MIDAS model for predicting stock portfolio volatility
This paper presents a simple forecasting technique for variance covariance matrices. It relies significantly on the contribution of Chiriac and Voev (2010) who propose to forecast elements of the Cholesky decomposition which recombine to form a positive definite forecast for the variance covariance matrix. The method proposed here combines this methodology with advances made in the MIDAS literature to produce a forecasting methodology that is flexible, scales easily with the size of the portfolio and produces superior forecasts in simulation experiments and an empirical application.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/our-research/centre-for-growth-and-business-cycle-research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sébastien Laurent & Jeroen Rombouts & Francesco Violente, 2009.
"On Loss Functions and Ranking Forecasting Performances of Multivariate Volatility Models,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Laurent, Sébastien & Rombouts, Jeroen V.K. & Violante, Francesco, 2013. "On loss functions and ranking forecasting performances of multivariate volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 1-10.
- Sébastien Laurent & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Francesco Violante, 2009. "On Loss Functions and Ranking Forecasting Performances of Multivariate Volatility Models," Cahiers de recherche 0948, CIRPEE.
- Adam Clements & Mark Doolan & Stan Hurn & Ralf Becker, 2009. "Evaluating multivariate volatility forecasts," NCER Working Paper Series 41, National Centre for Econometric Research, revised 25 Nov 2009.
- Ser-Huang Poon & Clive W.J. Granger, 2003. "Forecasting Volatility in Financial Markets: A Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(2), pages 478-539, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:man:cgbcrp:149. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.