Contagious Currency Crisis: A Spatial Probit Approach
We probe the idea that the 1992 currency crisis that affected several European countries was a contagious phenomenon. Using "spatial probit" models, we show that the currency crisis was indeed contagious, with the trade channel favored as the transmission channel. We also test the political channel, but the evidence is hybrid. Contrary to previous work, we find macroeconomic variables to be significant (standard probit is inconsistent and inefficient in the presence of spatial dependence), with poor economic growth playing a significant role. Several European countries had been experiencing poor, even negative, real growth at the time of the crisis.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: R. do Ouro, 27, 1100 LISBOA|
Phone: 21 321 32 00
Fax: 21 346 48 43
Web page: https://www.bportugal.pt
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ilan Goldfajn & Rodrigo Valdés, 1997. "Balance of Payments Crises and Capital Flows: The Role of Liquidity," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 11, Central Bank of Chile.
- Anselin, Luc & Bera, Anil K. & Florax, Raymond & Yoon, Mann J., 1996. "Simple diagnostic tests for spatial dependence," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 77-104, February.
- Van Rijckeghem, Caroline & Weder, Beatrice, 2001. "Sources of contagion: is it finance or trade?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 293-308, August.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1997.
"Leading indicators of currency crises,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1852, The World Bank.
- Loisel, Olivier & Martin, Philippe, 1999.
"Coordination, Cooperation, Contagion and Currency Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2075, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Loisel, Olivier & Martin, Philippe, 2001. "Coordination, cooperation, contagion and currency crises," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 399-419, April.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1998.
"On crises, contagion, and confusion,"
13709, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stefan Gerlach & Frank Smets, 1994.
"Contagious speculative attacks,"
BIS Working Papers
22, Bank for International Settlements.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pesenti, Paolo & Roubini, Nouriel & Tille, Cedric, 2000. "Competitive devaluations: toward a welfare-based approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 217-241, June.
- Pinkse, Joris & Slade, Margaret E., 1998. "Contracting in space: An application of spatial statistics to discrete-choice models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 125-154, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ptu:wpaper:w200305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEE-NTDD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.