External determinants of small business survival – The overwhelming impact of GDP and other environmental factors and a new proposed framework
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Christian Helmers & Mark Rogers, 2010. "Innovation and the Survival of New Firms in the UK," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 36(3), pages 227-248, May.
- Everett, Jim & Watson, John, 1998. "Small Business Failure and External Risk Factors," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 371-390, December.
- Audretsch, David B., 1995. "Innovation, growth and survival," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 441-457, December.
- Guimarães Barbosa, Evaldo, 2016. "Determinants of Small Business Survival: The Case of Very Small Enterprises of the Traditional Manufacturing Sectors in Brazil," MPRA Paper 72304, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stonebraker, Robert J, 1979. "Turnover and Mobility among the 100 Largest Firms: An Update," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(5), pages 968-973, December.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro & Guimaraes, Paulo, 1995.
"The survival of new plants: Start-up conditions and post-entry evolution,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 459-481, December.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Mata, José & Portugal, Pedro, 1995. "The Survival of New Plants: Start-up Conditions and Post-entry Evolution," CEPR Discussion Papers 1203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Louri, H. & Anagnostaki, V., 1995. "Entry and exit from Greek manufacturing industry: a test of the symmetry hypothesis," MPRA Paper 40575, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- P. A. Geroski & José Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2010.
"Founding conditions and the survival of new firms,"
Strategic Management Journal,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(5), pages 510-529, May.
- Pedro Portugal & P.A. Geroski & José Mata, 2003. "Founding Conditions and the Survival of New Firms," Working Papers w200301, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- P.A. Geroski & José Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2007. "Founding Conditions and the Survival of New Firms," DRUID Working Papers 07-11, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Carlos Carreira & Paulino Teixeira, 2011.
"The shadow of death: analysing the pre-exit productivity of Portuguese manufacturing firms,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 337-351, April.
- Carlos Carreira & Paulino Teixeira, 2009. "The Shadow of Death: Analysing the Pre-Exit Productivity of Portuguese Manufacturing Firms," GEMF Working Papers 2008-05, GEMF, Faculty of Economics, University of Coimbra.
- Tamoya Christie & David L. Sjoquist, 2012. "New Business Survival in Georgia: Exploring the Determinants of Survival Using Regional Level Data," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 110-142, March.
- Buehler, Stefan & Kaiser, Christian & Jaeger, Franz, 2006.
"Merge or fail? The determinants of mergers and bankruptcies in Switzerland, 1995-2000,"
Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 88-95, January.
- Stefan Buehler & Christian Kaiser & Franz Jaeger, 2005. "Merge or Fail? The Determinants of Mergers and Bankruptcies in Switzerland, 1995-2000," SOI - Working Papers 0506, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Klapper, Leora & Richmond, Christine, 2011.
"Patterns of business creation, survival and growth: Evidence from Africa,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(S1), pages 32-44.
- Klapper, Leora & Richmond, Christine, 2011. "Patterns of business creation, survival and growth : evidence from Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5828, The World Bank.
- Richard Disney & Jonathan Haskel & Ylva Heden, 2003. "Entry, Exit and Establishment Survival in UK Manufacturing," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 91-112, March.
- Sander Wennekers & André Stel & Roy Thurik & Paul Reynolds, 2008.
"Nascent entrepreneurship and the level of economic development,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 325-325, March.
- Sander Wennekers & André van Wennekers & Roy Thurik & Paul Reynolds, 2005. "Nascent Entrepreneurship and the Level of Economic Development," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 293-309, April.
- Sander Wennekers & André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Paul Reynolds, 2005. "Nascent entrepreneurship and the level of economic development," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-14, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas & Jukka Topi, 1999.
"Microeconomic and Macroeconomic Influences on Entry and Exit of Firms,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 15(3), pages 283-301, November.
- Ilmakunnas, Pekka & Topi, Jukka, 1996. "Microeconomic and macroeconomic influences of entry and exit of firms," Research Discussion Papers 6/1996, Bank of Finland.
- Ana M. Fernandes & Caroline Paunov, 2015.
"The Risks of Innovation: Are Innovating Firms Less Likely to Die?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 97(3), pages 638-653, July.
- Fernandes, Ana M. & Paunov, Caroline, 2012. "The risks of innovation : are innovating firms less likely to die ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6103, The World Bank.
- Shiferaw, Admasu, 2009. "Survival of Private Sector Manufacturing Establishments in Africa: The Role of Productivity and Ownership," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 572-584, March.
- Paul H. Jensen & Elizabeth Webster & Hielke Buddelmeyer, 2008.
"Innovation, Technological Conditions and New Firm Survival,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 84(267), pages 434-448, December.
- Paul H. Jensen & Elizabeth Webster & Hielke Buddelmeyer, 2006. "Innovation, Technological Conditions and New Firm Survival," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2006n26, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Bertin, Amy L & Bresnahan, Timothy F & Raff, Daniel M G, 1996.
"Localized Competition and the Aggregation of Plant-Level Increasing Returns: Blast Furnaces, 1929-1935,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(2), pages 241-266, April.
- Bertin, A.L. & Bresnahan, T.F. & Raff, D.M.G., 1993. "Localized Competition and the Aggregation of Plant Level Increasing Returns: Blast Furnaces 1929-1935," Papers 93-10a, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- P. Holmes & A. Hunt & I. Stone, 2010. "An analysis of new firm survival using a hazard function," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 185-195.
- Philip Bunn & Victoria Redwood, 2003. "Company accounts based modelling of business failures and the implications for financial stability," Bank of England working papers 210, Bank of England.
- Richard I. D. Harris & Qian Cher Li, 2010. "Export‐Market Dynamics And The Probability Of Firm Closure: Evidence For The United Kingdom," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 57(2), pages 145-168, May.
- Stefan Buehler & Christian Kaiser & Franz Jaeger, 2012. "The geographic determinants of bankruptcy: evidence from Switzerland," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 231-251, July.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Guimarães Barbosa, Evaldo, 2016. "The relationships between, on the hand, size, growth and age of the firm and, on the other hand, small business survival – a constructive critique and a proposal of a new framework," MPRA Paper 72111, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luisa Farinha, 2006. "The Survival of New Firms: Impact of Idiosyncratic and Environmental Factors," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles and Banco de Portugal Economic Studies, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Boeri, Tito & Bellmann, Lutz, 1995. "Post-entry behaviour and the cycle: Evidence from Germany," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 483-500, December.
- Varum, Celeste & Rocha, Vera Catarina & Valente da Silva, Hélder, 2014. "Economic slowdowns, hazard rates and foreign ownership," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 761-773.
More about this item
KeywordsSmall business; Survival determinants; GDP growth; Cox regression;
- M21 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting; Personnel Economics - - Business Economics - - - Business Economics
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CSE-2016-09-04 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2016-09-04 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-SBM-2016-09-04 (Small Business Management)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:73346. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.