Entry and exit from Greek manufacturing industry: a test of the symmetry hypothesis
The paper examines the role of trade patterns in the entry and exit decisions of firms and tests the existence of symmetry between entry and exit factors. Trade patterns were found, through their entry and exit impact, to affect the structure of Greek industry rather unfavourably. Prospects seem to be bleaker within the integrated European market of the 1990s. The lack of symmetry leads to increasing concentration. The gloomy outlook is improved by the strong stand of existing, competitive firms.
|Date of creation:||1995|
|Publication status:||Published in International Review of Applied Economics 1.9(1995): pp. 86-95|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shapiro, Daniel & Khemani, R. S., 1987. "The determinants of entry and exit reconsidered," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 15-26, March.
- B. Curtis Eaton & Richard G. Lipsey, 1981.
"Capital, Commitment, and Entry Equilibrium,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(2), pages 593-604, Autumn.
- B. Curtis Eaton & Richard G. Lipsey, 1980. "Capital, Commitment, and Entry Equilibrium," Working Papers 397, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Lieberman, Marvin B, 1987. "Excess Capacity as a Barrier to Entry: An Empirical Appraisal," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 607-627, June.
- John R. Baldwin & Paul K. Gorecki, 1991. "Firm Entry and Exit in the Canadian Manufacturing Sector, 1970-1982," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(2), pages 300-323, May.
- Hilke, John C, 1984. "Excess Capacity and Entry: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 233-240, December.
- Baldwin, John R. & Gorecki, Paul K., 1987. "Plant creation versus plant acquisition : The entry process in canadian manufacturing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 27-41, March.
- B. Curtis Eaton & Richard G. Lipsey, 1980. "Exit Barriers are Entry Barriers: The Durability of Capital as a Barrier to Entry," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(2), pages 721-729, Autumn.
- Storey, David J & Jones, A M, 1987. "New Firm Formation--A Labour Market Approach to Industrial Entry," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 34(1), pages 37-51, February.
- Kessides, Ioannis N, 1986. "Advertising, Sunk Costs, and Barriers to Entry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(1), pages 84-95, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)