Firm size and short-term dynamics in aggregate entry and exit
The interdependence between the sectorial rates of entry and exit is an established "stylised fact" in the research on industry dynamics. This paper argues that the size of firms and the reaction-adjustment period are important conditions that are missing from the empirical models typically used in this literature. I illustrate the effects of this omission on a panel of Spanish manufacturing industries. Estimates from error-component systems of equations provide evidence of a conical revolving door phenomenon and of dynamic partial adjustments in the replacement-displacement of firms.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Audretsch, David B. & Elston, Julie Ann, 2002.
"Does firm size matter? Evidence on the impact of liquidity constraints on firm investment behavior in Germany,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Audretsch, David B & Elston, Julie Ann, 1994. "Does Firm Size Matter? Evidence on the Impacts of Liquidity Constraints on Firm Investment Behaviour in Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 1072, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Audretsch, David B. & Elston, Julie Ann, 2000. "Does firm size matter? Evidence on the impact of liquidity constraint on firm investment behavior in Germany," HWWA Discussion Papers 113, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Evans, David S & Leighton, Linda S, 1989. "Some Empirical Aspects of Entrepreneurship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 519-35, June.
- Ariel Pakes & Michael Ostrovsky & Steve Berry, 2004.
"Simple Estimators for the Parameters of Discrete Dynamic Games (with Entry/Exit Samples),"
NBER Working Papers
10506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ariel Pakes & Michael Ostrovsky & Steven Berry, 2007. "Simple estimators for the parameters of discrete dynamic games (with entry/exit examples)," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 38(2), pages 373-399, 06.
- Ariel Pakes & Michael Ostrovsky & Steve Berry, 2004. "Simple Estimators for the Parameters of Discrete Dynamic Games (with Entry/Exit Examples)," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2036, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:91:y:1977:i:2:p:241-61 is not listed on IDEAS
- Geroski, Paul A & Mazzucato, Mariana, 2000.
"Modelling the Dynamics of Industry Populations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2650, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1980.
"The Role of Investment in Entry-Deterrence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(357), pages 95-106, March.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1979. "The Role of Investment in Entry-Deterrence," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 140, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Shapiro, Daniel & Khemani, R. S., 1987. "The determinants of entry and exit reconsidered," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 15-26, March.
- David B. Audretsch, 1995. "Innovation and Industry Evolution," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011468, June.
- José Fariñas & Lourdes Moreno, 2000. "Firms' Growth, Size and Age: A Nonparametric Approach," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 249-265, November.
- John R. Baldwin & Paul K. Gorecki, 1990. "Firm Entry and Exit in the Canadian Manufacturing Sector," Working Papers 767, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Baltagi, Badi H., 1981. "Simultaneous equations with error components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 189-200, November.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 2004.
"Sequential Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Games,"
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-27, August.
- Natália Barbosa, 2007. "An Integrative Model of Firms’ Entry Decisions," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 53(1), pages 45-69.
- Buse, A., 1979. "Goodness-of-fit in the seemingly unrelated regressions model : A generalization," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 109-113, April.
- Louri, H. & Anagnostaki, V., 1995. "Entry and exit from Greek manufacturing industry: a test of the symmetry hypothesis," MPRA Paper 40575, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:103:y:1988:i:2:p:333-44 is not listed on IDEAS
- Avery, Robert B, 1977. "Error Components and Seemingly Unrelated Regressions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(1), pages 199-209, January.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Li, Qi, 1992. "A Note on the Estimation of Simultaneous Equations with Error Components," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 113-119, March.
- Winkelmann, Rainer, 2000. " Seemingly Unrelated Negative Binomial Regression," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 62(4), pages 553-60, September.
- Michael P. Murray, 2006. "Avoiding Invalid Instruments and Coping with Weak Instruments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 111-132, Fall.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Mata, Jose & Machado, Jose A. F., 1996. "Firm start-up size: A conditional quantile approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1305-1323, June.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2005:i:36:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Geroski, P. A. & Masson, R. T. & Shaanan, S., 1987. "The dynamics of market structure," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 93-100, March.
- repec:oup:restud:v:62:y:1995:i:1:p:53-82 is not listed on IDEAS
- Garrett, Thomas A., 2003. "Aggregated versus disaggregated data in regression analysis: implications for inference," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 61-65, October.
- Gurmu, Shiferaw & Elder, John, 2000. "Generalized bivariate count data regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 31-36, July.
- Johnson, Peter & Parker, Simon, 1994. " The Interrelationships between Births and Deaths," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 283-90, August.
- Pakes, Ariel, 1983. "On Group Effects and Errors in Variables in Aggregation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 168-73, February.
- J. Arauzo & M. ManjÃ³n & M. MartÃn & A. Segarra, 2007. "Regional and Sector-specific Determinants of Industry Dynamics and the Displacementâ€“replacement Effects," Empirica, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 89-115, April.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Richard E. Caves, 1998. "Industrial Organization and New Findings on the Turnover and Mobility of Firms," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 1947-1982, December.
- Ghemawat, Pankaj, 1987. "Investment in lumpy capacity," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 265-277, June.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1989. "Small-Firm Entry in U.S. Manufacturing," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 56(222), pages 255-65, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:indorg:v:28:y:2010:i:5:p:464-476. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.