Firm size and short-term dynamics in aggregate entry and exit
The interdependence between the sectorial rates of entry and exit is an established "stylised fact" in the research on industry dynamics. This paper argues that the size of firms and the reaction-adjustment period are important conditions that are missing from the empirical models typically used in this literature. I illustrate the effects of this omission on a panel of Spanish manufacturing industries. Estimates from error-component systems of equations provide evidence of a conical revolving door phenomenon and of dynamic partial adjustments in the replacement-displacement of firms.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Winkelmann, Rainer, 2000. " Seemingly Unrelated Negative Binomial Regression," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 62(4), pages 553-60, September.
- John R. Baldwin & Paul K. Gorecki, 1990. "Firm Entry and Exit in the Canadian Manufacturing Sector," Working Papers 767, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Audretsch, David B. & Elston, Julie Ann, 2002.
"Does firm size matter? Evidence on the impact of liquidity constraints on firm investment behavior in Germany,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Audretsch, David B & Elston, Julie Ann, 1994. "Does Firm Size Matter? Evidence on the Impacts of Liquidity Constraints on Firm Investment Behaviour in Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 1072, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Audretsch, David B. & Elston, Julie Ann, 2000. "Does firm size matter? Evidence on the impact of liquidity constraint on firm investment behavior in Germany," HWWA Discussion Papers 113, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-27, August.
- Richard E. Caves, 1998. "Industrial Organization and New Findings on the Turnover and Mobility of Firms," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 1947-1982, December.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 2007.
"Sequential Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Games,"
Econometric Society, vol. 75(1), pages 1-53, 01.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2005:i:36:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Li, Qi, 1992. "A Note on the Estimation of Simultaneous Equations with Error Components," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 113-119, March.
- Geroski, Paul A. & Mata, Jose, 2001. "The evolution of markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 999-1002, July.
- Evans, David S & Leighton, Linda S, 1989. "Some Empirical Aspects of Entrepreneurship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 519-35, June.
- Avery, Robert B, 1977. "Error Components and Seemingly Unrelated Regressions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(1), pages 199-209, January.
- José Fariñas & Lourdes Moreno, 2000. "Firms' Growth, Size and Age: A Nonparametric Approach," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 249-265, November.
- Buse, A., 1979. "Goodness-of-fit in the seemingly unrelated regressions model : A generalization," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 109-113, April.
- Michael P. Murray, 2006. "Avoiding Invalid Instruments and Coping with Weak Instruments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 111-132, Fall.
- repec:hoo:wpaper:e-90-20 is not listed on IDEAS
- Murray Z. Frank, 1988. "An Intertemporal Model of Industrial Exit," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(2), pages 333-344.
- Geroski, P. A. & Masson, R. T. & Shaanan, S., 1987. "The dynamics of market structure," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 93-100, March.
- Ariel Pakes & Michael Ostrovsky & Steve Berry, 2004.
"Simple Estimators for the Parameters of Discrete Dynamic Games (with Entry/Exit Examples),"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2036, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ariel Pakes & Michael Ostrovsky & Steven Berry, 2007. "Simple estimators for the parameters of discrete dynamic games (with entry/exit examples)," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 38(2), pages 373-399, 06.
- Ariel Pakes & Michael Ostrovsky & Steve Berry, 2004. "Simple Estimators for the Parameters of Discrete Dynamic Games (with Entry/Exit Samples)," NBER Working Papers 10506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. E. Caves & M. E. Porter, 1977. "From Entry Barriers to Mobility Barriers: Conjectural Decisions and Contrived Deterrence to New Competition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(2), pages 241-261.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr., 1978. "On the Size Distribution of Business Firms," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 508-523, Autumn.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1989. "Small-Firm Entry in U.S. Manufacturing," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 56(222), pages 255-65, May.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Garrett, Thomas A., 2003. "Aggregated versus disaggregated data in regression analysis: implications for inference," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 61-65, October.
- Timothy Dunne & Mark J. Roberts & Larry Samuelson, 1988.
"Patterns of Firm Entry and Exit in U.S. Manufacturing Industries,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(4), pages 495-515, Winter.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "Pattenrs Of Firm Entry And Exit In U.S. Manufacturing Industries," Papers 1-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Mariana Mazzucato & Paul A Geroski, 2001.
"Modelling the Dynamics of Industry Populations,"
Open Discussion Papers in Economics
37, The Open University, Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Economics.
- Audretsch, David B & Mahmood, Talat, 1995. "New Firm Survival: New Results Using a Hazard Function," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 97-103, February.
- Marvin B. Lieberman, 1990. "Exit from Declining Industries: "Shakeout" or "Stakeout"?," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(4), pages 538-554, Winter.
- Richard Ericson & Ariel Pakes, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1980.
"The Role of Investment in Entry-Deterrence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(357), pages 95-106, March.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1979. "The Role of Investment in Entry-Deterrence," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 140, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Johnson, Peter & Parker, Simon, 1994. "The Interrelationships between Births and Deaths," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 283-90, August.
- Mata, Jose & Machado, Jose A. F., 1996. "Firm start-up size: A conditional quantile approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1305-1323, June.
- Georgios Fotopoulos & Nigel Spence, 1998. "Entry and exit from manufacturing industries: symmetry, turbulence and simultaneity - some empirical evidence from Greek manufacturing industries, 1982-1988," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 245-262, February.
- David B. Audretsch, 1995. "Innovation and Industry Evolution," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011468, December.
- Horvath, Michael & Schivardi, Fabiano & Woywode, Michael, 2001. "On industry life-cycles: delay, entry, and shakeout in beer brewing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1023-1052, July.
- J. Arauzo & M. ManjÃ³n & M. MartÃn & A. Segarra, 2007. "Regional and Sector-specific Determinants of Industry Dynamics and the Displacementâ€“replacement Effects," Empirica, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 89-115, April.
- Ghemawat, Pankaj, 1987. "Investment in lumpy capacity," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 265-277, June.
- Gurmu, Shiferaw & Elder, John, 2000. "Generalized bivariate count data regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 31-36, July.
- John R. Baldwin & Paul K. Gorecki, 1991. "Firm Entry and Exit in the Canadian Manufacturing Sector, 1970-1982," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(2), pages 300-323, May.
- Baltagi, Badi H., 1981. "Simultaneous equations with error components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 189-200, November.
- Louri, H. & Anagnostaki, V., 1995. "Entry and exit from Greek manufacturing industry: a test of the symmetry hypothesis," MPRA Paper 40575, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pakes, Ariel, 1983. "On Group Effects and Errors in Variables in Aggregation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 168-73, February.
- Natália Barbosa, 2007. "An Integrative Model of Firms’ Entry Decisions," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 53(1), pages 45-69.
- Baltagi, Badi H, 1984. "A Monte Carlo Study for Pooling Time Series of Cross-Section Data in the Simultaneous Equations Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(3), pages 603-24, October.
- Shapiro, Daniel & Khemani, R. S., 1987. "The determinants of entry and exit reconsidered," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 15-26, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:indorg:v:28:y:2010:i:5:p:464-476. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.