Examining measures of the equilibrium Real Exchange Rate: Macroeconomic Balance and the Natural Real Exchange Rate Approaches
This paper examines two measures of the equilibrium real exchange rate using the Macroeconomic Balance (MB) and the Natural Real Exchange Rate (NATREX) approaches. Unlike previous studies, this study controls for business cycle effects and the debt sustainability position of countries on the current account, while providing a more comprehensive measure of relative productivity. A longitudinal panel econometric technique is utilized on a set of countries from the Western Hemisphere. These countries operate a managed float exchange rate system; have similar output per capita and equivalent levels of openness. The findings suggest that there were several intervals of exchange rate misalignment for each country, including Jamaica, over the 1990-2010 study period. The exchange rate misalignment series was found to be stationary which is an indication that there is a long-run equilibrium mean and a constant variance for exchange rate misalignment. This long-run misalignment mean is assumed to be zero by economic theory. The Autoregressive Distributive Lag (ARDL) error correction model suggests that disequilibrium in the exchange rate is adjusted by 46.2 per cent each year and the half-life deviation formula suggests that a half of the deviation in the exchange rate is corrected after 1.1 years for each country in the panel.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Egert, Balazs & Halpern, Laszlo, 2006.
"Equilibrium exchange rates in Central and Eastern Europe: A meta-regression analysis,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1359-1374, May.
- Bal??zs ??gert & L??szl?? Halpern, 2005. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Central and Eastern Europe: A Meta-Regression Analysis," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp769, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Égert, Balázs & Halpern, László, 2005. "Equilibrium exchange rates in Central and Eastern Europe : A meta-regression analysis," BOFIT Discussion Papers 4/2005, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Égert, Balázs & Halpern, László, 2005. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Central and Eastern Europe: A Meta-Regression Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 4869, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James Graham & Daan Steenkamp, 2012. "Extending the Reserve Bank’s macroeconomic balance model of the exchange rate," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Analytical Notes series AN2012/08, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Balázs Égert & László Halpern & Ronald MacDonald, 2006. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies: Taking Stock of the Issues ," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 257-324, 04.
- Égert, Balázs & Halpern, László & MacDonald, Ronald, 2004. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies: Taking Stock of the Issues," CEPR Discussion Papers 4809, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Balázs Égert & László Halpern & Ronald MacDonald, 2005. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies: Taking Stock of the Issues," Working Papers 106, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Bal??zs ??gert, & L??szl?? Halpern & Ronald MacDonald, 2005. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies: Taking Stock of the Issues," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp793, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Dierk Herzer & Sebastian Vollmer & Inmaculada Martinez-Zarzoso, 2009. "Modelling the dynamics of market shares in a pooled data setting: econometric and empirical issues," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(7), pages 823-835.
- G. Russell Kincaid & Martin Fetherston & Peter Isard & Hamid Faruqee, 2001. "Methodology for Current Account and Exchange Rate Assessments," IMF Occasional Papers 209, International Monetary Fund.
- Emilio Pineda & Paul Cashin & Yan Sun, 2009. "Assessing Exchange Rate Competitiveness in the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union," IMF Working Papers 09/78, International Monetary Fund.
- John Williamson, 1994. "Estimating Equilibrium Exchange Rates," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 17, November.
- Jerome L. Stein, 2001. "The Equilibrium Value of the Euro/$ US Exchange Rate: An Evaluation of Research," CESifo Working Paper Series 525, CESifo Group Munich.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde, 2005. "Real Equilibrium Exchange Rate in China," Working Papers 2005-01, CEPII research center.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-652, Special I.
- Rebecca L Driver & Peter F Westaway, 2005. "Concepts of equilibrium exchange rates," Bank of England working papers 248, Bank of England.
- Reza Siregar & Ramkishen Rajan, 2006. "Models of Equilibrium Real Exchange Rates Revisited: A Selective Review of the Literature," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2006-04, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Ramkishen S. Rajan & Reza Y. Siregar, 2007. "Models of Equilibrium Real Exchange Rates Revisited: A Selective Review of the Literature," Working Papers id:1198, eSocialSciences.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2005. "The saving and investment nexus for China: evidence from cointegration tests," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(17), pages 1979-1990.
- Zvi Eckstein & Amit Friedman, 2011. "The equilibrium real exchange rate for Israel," BIS Papers chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Capital flows, commodity price movements and foreign exchange intervention, volume 57, pages 201-213 Bank for International Settlements.
- Jerome L. Stein, 2005. "The Transition Economies: A NATREX Evaluation of Research," CESifo Working Paper Series 1449, CESifo Group Munich.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002. "Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:61170. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.