Désajustements de change, fédéralisme budgétaire et redistribution. Comment s'ajuster en union monétaire
The euro zone crisis illustrates the insufficiency of adjustment mechanisms in a monetaryunion characterized by a large heterogeneity. Firstly, the paper gives an evaluationof exchange rate misalignments inside the euro zone, using a FEER approach(Jeong et ali., 2010). Usingpanel econometric techniques over the period 1994-2010, we confirm that the exchange ratemisalignments in the euro zone have diverged, reflecting unsustainable evolutions. Secondly, we use a “stock-flow consistent” modelof a monetary union with two countries along the lines of Godley and Lavoie (2007) and Duwicquet and Mazier (2010). A federal budget is introduced with federal expenditures andsocial transfers financed by federal taxes and euro-bonds issuing. The stabilizing role of such a federal budget is confirmed facing asymmetric shock or thenegative impact of exchange rate misalignments inside the monetary union. Similarly, the stabilizingrole of euro-bonds used to finance European investment projects is illustrated. JEL Classification: F31, F32, F41, F37, E12.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asdrubali, Pierfederico & Kim, Soyoung, 2004.
"Dynamic risksharing in the United States and Europe,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 809-836, May.
- Pierfederico Asdrubali & Soyoung Kim, 2000. "Dynamic Risk Sharing in the United States and Europe," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1621, Econometric Society.
- Jesus Felipe & Utsav Kumar, 2011.
"Unit Labor Costs in the Eurozone: The Competitiveness Debate Again,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_651, Levy Economics Institute.
- Jesus Felipe & Utsav Kumar, 2014. "Unit labor costs in the eurozone: the competitiveness debate again," Review of Keynesian Economics, Edward Elgar, vol. 2(4), pages 490-507, October.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003.
"A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007. "A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Barisone, G. & Driver, R.L. & Wren-Lewis, S., 2000.
"Are Our FEERs Justified?,"
0002, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Westerlund, Joakim, 2005.
"Testing for Error Correction in Panel Data,"
2005:11, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Antonia López-Villavicencio & Jacques Mazier & Jamel Saadaoui, 2012. "Dimension temporelle et taux de change d'équilibre. Une application au cas des États-Unis," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 63(3), pages 535-544.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Jacques Mazier & Sophie Saglio, 2008. "Interdependency and adjustments in the European Union," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 17-44.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Se-Eun Jeong & Jacques Mazier & Jamel Saadaoui, 2010.
"Exchange Rate Misalignments at World and European Levels: a FEER Approach,"
- Se-Eun Jeong & Jacques Mazier & Jamel Saadaoui, 2010. "Exchange Rate Misalignments at World and European Levels: a FEER Approach," International Economics, CEPII research center, issue 121, pages 25-58.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde & Valérie Mignon, 2013.
"On Currency Misalignments within the Euro Area,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 35-48, 02.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde & Valérie Mignon, 2012. "On currency misalignments within the euro area," Working Papers 2012-07, CEPII research center.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde & Valérie Mignon, 2012. "On currency misalignments within the euro area," EconomiX Working Papers 2012-30, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Belke, Ansgar & Dreger, Christian, 2011.
"Current account imbalances in the euro area: Catching up or competitiveness?,"
Annual Conference 2011 (Frankfurt, Main): The Order of the World Economy - Lessons from the Crisis
48711, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Belke, Ansgar & Dreger, Christian, 2011. "Current account imbalances in the euro area: Catching up or competitiveness?," Discussion Papers 297, European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), Department of Business Administration and Economics.
- Belke, Ansgar & Dreger, Christian, 2011. "Current Account Imbalances in the Euro Area: Catching up or Competitiveness?," Ruhr Economic Papers 241, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (RWI), Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Ansgar Belke & Christian Dreger, 2011. "Current Account Imbalances in the Euro Area: Catching up or Competitiveness?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1106, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Choi, In, 2001. "Unit root tests for panel data," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 249-272, April.
- Jamel Saadaoui, 2011.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics and Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rates,"
AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 1993-2005.
- Jamel Saadaoui, 2011. "Exchange Rate Dynamics and Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rates," Post-Print halshs-00593674, HAL.
- Godley, Wynne, 1999. "Money and Credit in a Keynesian Model of Income Determination," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(4), pages 393-411, July.
- Didier Borowski & Cecile Couharde, 2003.
"The Exchange Rate Macroeconomic Balance Approach: New Methodology and Results for the Euro, the Dollar, the Yen and the Pound Sterling,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 169-190, April.
- Cécile Couharde & Didier Borowski, 2003. "The Exchange Rate Macroeconomic Balance Approach: New Methodology and Results for the Euro, the Dollar, the Yen and the Pound sterling," Post-Print halshs-00119117, HAL.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999.
" Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-70, Special I.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Department of Economics Working Papers 2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Yann Guy & Mickaël Clévenot & Jacques Mazier, 2010.
"Investment and the rate of profit in a financial context: the French case,"
- Micka�l Clevenot & Yann Guy & Jacques Mazier, 2010. "Investment and the rate of profit in a financial context: the French case," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(6), pages 693-714.
- repec:cii:cepiei:2010-1tb is not listed on IDEAS
- Su Zhou, 1993. "Fundamental equilibrium exchange rates and exchange rate dynamics," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 189-209, June.
- Wynne Godley & Marc Lavoie, 2006. "Comprehensive accounting in simple open economy macroeconomics with endogenous sterilization or flexible exchange rates," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 28(2), pages 241-276, January.
- Se-Eun Jeong & Jacques Mazier, 2003. "Exchange Rate Regimes and Equilibrium Exchange Rates in East Asia," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 54(5), pages 1161-1182.
- Vincent Duwicquet & Jacques Mazier, 2010. "Financial integration and macroeconomic adjustments in a monetary union," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 33(2), pages 333-370, January.
- William R. Cline & John Williamson, 2011. "The Current Currency Situation," Policy Briefs PB11-18, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Damiaan Persyn & Joakim Westerlund, 2008. "Error-correction–based cointegration tests for panel data," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(2), pages 232-241, June.
- Olivier Blanchard & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2012. "(Why) Should Current Account Balances Be Reduced?," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 60(1), pages 139-150, April.
- Mickaël Clévenot & Vincent Duwicquet, 2011. "Partage du risque interrégional. Une étude des canaux budgétaires et financiers aux États-Unis et en Europe," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(4), pages 5-33.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:reofsp:reof_127_0057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.