The Equilibrium Value of The Euro/$ US Exchange Rate: An Evaluation of Research
The ultimate object of research concerning the Euro is to answer the following questions: (#1) What is the equilibrium trajectory of the nominal euro, measured as dollars/euro? (#2) To what extent has the equilibrium nominal euro been determined by relative prices (PPP), and to what extent has it been determined by real fundamentals? (#3) How important have been the transitory factors in affecting the value of the euro? (#4) Is the euro currently undervalued, and by what criteria? Our evaluation of recent research concerning the answers to these questions, is the subject of this paper.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giancarlo Gandolfo & Alberto Felettigh, 1998. "The NATREX: an Alternative Approach Theory and Empirical Verifications," Working Papers 52, Sapienza University of Rome, CIDEI.
- Carsten Detken & Alistair Dieppe & Jérôme Henry & Frank Smets & Carmen Marin, 2002. "Determinants of the Effective Real Exchange Rate of the Synthetic Euro: Alternative Methodological Approaches," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 404-436, December.
- Issing, Otmar, 2000. "How to Promote Growth in the Euro Area: The Contribution of Monetary Policy," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 309-327, July.
- Gandolfo, Giancarlo & Goldberg, Michael D., 2005. "International Finance And Open-Economy Macroeconomics," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 263-266, April.
- Stein, Jerome L. & Paladino, Giovanna, 1997. "Recent developments in international finance: A guide to research," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(11-12), pages 1685-1720, December.