A Two-Country NATREX Model for the Euro/Dollar
This paper develops a NATREX (NATural Real EXchange rate) model for two large economies, the Eurozone and the United States, which are fully specified and allowed to interact. After description of the theoretical framework grounding on dynamic disequilibrium modelling approach in continuous time, we implement empirical analysis. First, we estimate the model in its structural form as a simultaneous nonlinear differential equation system for the 1975-2003 period. Second, we simulate the Euro/USD NATREX series in- and out-of-sample by using parameters estimates. The simulated equilibrium real exchange rate enables us to determine a benchmark against which the dynamics of the actual real exchange rate can be measured.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1996. "Budgetary Policies, Foreign Indebtedness, the Stock Market, and Economic Growth," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(3), pages 382-96, July.
- Carlo Altavilla & Paul De Grauwe, 2005.
"Non-Linearities in the Relation between the Exchange Rate and its Fundamentals,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1561, CESifo Group Munich.
- Carlo Altavilla & Paul De Grauwe, 2010. "Non-linearities in the relation between the exchange rate and its fundamentals," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 1-21.
- Jerome L. Stein, 2001. "The Equilibrium Value of the Euro/$ US Exchange Rate: An Evaluation of Research," CESifo Working Paper Series 525, CESifo Group Munich.
- Robert J. Barro, 2013.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- Fagan, Gabriel & Henry, Jérôme & Mestre, Ricardo, 2001. "An area-wide model (AWM) for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0042, European Central Bank.
- Xavier Sala-I-Martin, 1997.
"Transfers, Social Safety Nets, and Economic Growth,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(1), pages 81-102, March.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Daniel Cohen, 1982. "LDC Borrowing with Default Risk," NBER Working Papers 0925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cohen, Daniel & Loisel, Olivier, 2001.
"Why was the euro weak? Markets and policies,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 988-994, May.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Eleanor Wiske Dillon, 2007. "Why a dollar depreciation may not close the U.S. trade deficit," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 13(Jun).
- Jonathan Eaton & Mark Gersovitz, 1981. "Debt with Potential Repudiation: Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 289-309.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 2000.
"Exchange Rates in Search of Fundamentals: The Case of the Euro-Dollar Rate,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2575, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 2000. "Exchange Rates in Search of Fundamentals: The Case of the Euro-Dollar Rate," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 329-356, November.
- Jerome L. Stein, 1995. "The Fundamental Determinants of the real Exchange Rate of the US Dollar Relative to the G7," Working Papers 95-8, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Ettore F. Infante & Jerome L. Stein, 1973. "Optimal Growth with Robust Feedback Control," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(1), pages 47-60.
- Carsten Detken & Alistair Dieppe & Jérôme Henry & Frank Smets & Carmen Marin, 2002. "Determinants of the Effective Real Exchange Rate of the Synthetic Euro: Alternative Methodological Approaches," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 404-436, December.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S., 1985. "Income and price effects in foreign trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1041-1105 Elsevier.
- Vincent Koen & Laurence Boone & Alain de Serres & Nicola Fuchs, 2001. "Tracking the Euro," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 298, OECD Publishing.
- Romain Duval, 2002. "What Do We Know About Long-run Equilibrium Real Exchange Rates? PPPs vs Macroeconomic Approaches," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 382-403, December.
- Wymer, Clifford R., 1997. "Structural Nonlinear Continuous-Time Models In Econometrics," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(02), pages 518-548, June.
- Jerome L. Stein & Giovanna Paladino, 1998.
"Exchange Rate Misalignments and Crises,"
98-7, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Wendell Fleming & Jerome L. Stein, 2002.
"Stochastic Optimal Control, International Finance and Debt,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
744, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fleming, Wendell H. & Stein, Jerome L., 2004. "Stochastic optimal control, international finance and debt," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 979-996, May.
- Stein Jerome & Wendell Fleming, "undated". "Stochastic Optimal Control, International Finance and Debt," EcoMod2002 330800063, EcoMod.
- Richard N. Cooper & Jeffrey Sachs, 1984. "Borrowing Abroad: The Debtor's Perspective," NBER Working Papers 1427, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ron Alquist & Menzie D. Chinn, 2002. "Productivity and the Euro-Dollar Exchange Rate Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8824, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniela Federici & Giancarlo Gandolfo, 2001.
"Endogenous Growth in an Open Economy and the Real Exchange Rate,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
526, CESifo Group Munich.
- Daniela Federici & Giancarlo Gandolfo, 2002. "Endogenous Growth in an Open Economy and the Real Exchange Rate," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 499-518, December.
- Stein, Jerome L., 1990. "The real exchange rate," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 1045-1078, November.
- anonymous, 1995. "Does the bouncing ball lead to economic growth?," Regional Update, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Jul, pages 1-2, 4-6.
- Paul De Grauwe & Marianna Grimaldi, 2005. "The Exchange Rate and its Fundamentals in a Complex World," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 549-575, 08.
- Giancarlo Gandolfo & Alberto Felettigh, 1998. "The NATREX: an Alternative Approach Theory and Empirical Verifications," Working Papers 52, Sapienza University of Rome, CIDEI.
- Wymer, C R, 1972. "Econometric Estimation of Stochastic Differential Equation Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(3), pages 565-77, May.
- Vivien J. Lewis, 2007. "Productivity and the Euro-Dollar Real Exchange Rate," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 143(2), pages 324-348, July.
- Jagdeep S. Bhandari & Nadeem Ul Haque & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1990. "Growth, External Debt, and Sovereign Risk in a Small Open Economy," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(2), pages 388-417, June.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti, 1999. "Stability, Asymmetry, and Discontinuity: The Launch of European Monetary Union," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 30(2), pages 295-372.
- Bergstrom, A.R., 1984. "Continuous time stochastic models and issues of aggregation over time," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1145-1212 Elsevier.
- Johan L. Verrue & Jan Colpaert, 1998. "A dynamic model of the real Belgian franc," Working Papers 47, Sapienza University of Rome, CIDEI.
- Jerome L. Stein, 1995. "The Fundamental Determinants of the Real Exchange Rate of the U. S. Dollar Relative to Other G-7 Currencies," IMF Working Papers 95/81, International Monetary Fund.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1985. "The Dazzling Dollar," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 16(1), pages 199-217.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_2290. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.