Endogenous Growth in an Open Economy and the Real Exchange Rate
This paper is a step in the direction of a larger research project aimed at determining the long run equilibrium value of the euro/dollar real exchange rate. Given this value, one could then give a precise meaning to the notion of undervaluation or overvaluation of the euro, and calculate its misalignment. The problem however arises of how to assess the reliability of such misalignment calculations. In our opinion, we must have a benchmark (namely a period in which we exactly know from outside sources the misalignment itself), against which we can test the validity of the model underlying our calculations. This of course is not (yet) possible for the euro, so that all the calculations of the misalignment of the euro that have been made can only be compared with one another, without knowing which is the good one. Hence, before building a model to be applied to the euro/dollar, we tested our ideas incorporating them in a basic model to be applied to the lira/dollar in a period in which we do exactly know the actual misalignment of the lira from outside sources.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 1998. "original: Spatial perspectives on new theories of economic growth," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 7-37.
- Wymer, C R, 1972. "Econometric Estimation of Stochastic Differential Equation Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(3), pages 565-77, May.
- Infante, Ettore F & Stein, Jerome L, 1973. "Optimal Growth with Robust Feedback Control," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 47-60, January.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Michael P. Dooley & Peter Isard, 1979. "The portfolio-balance model of exchange rates," International Finance Discussion Papers 141, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mansoorian, Arman, 1993. "Habit persistence and the Harberger-Laursen-Metzler effect in an infinite horizon model," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 153-166, February.
- Quah, D., 1989.
"Permanent And Transitory Movements In Labor Income: An Explanation For "Excess Smoothness" In Consumption,"
535, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Quah, Danny, 1990. "Permanent and Transitory Movements in Labor Income: An Explanation for "Excess Smoothness" in Consumption," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 449-75, June.
- Wickens, Michael, 1995. "Real Business Cycle Analysis: A Needed Revolution in Macroeconometrics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1637-48, November.
- Frank Hahn & Robert Solow, 1997. "A Critical Essay on Modern Macroeconomic Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026258154x, June.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Gandolfo, Giancarlo & Padoan, Pietro Carlo, 1990. "The Italian continuous time model : Theory and empirical results," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 91-132, April.
- Hooper, Peter & Morton, John, 1982. "Fluctuations in the dollar: A model of nominal and real exchange rate determination," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 39-56, January.
- Stein, Jerome L., 1990. "The real exchange rate," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 1045-1078, November.
- Robert Z. Ailber (ed.), 2001. "International Finance," Books, Edward Elgar, volume 0, number 525, December.
- Bergstrom, A.R., 1984. "Continuous time stochastic models and issues of aggregation over time," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1145-1212 Elsevier.
- Jerome L. Stein & Giovanna Paladino, 1999.
"Exchange Rate Misalignments and Crises,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
205, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_526. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.