Financial Sector Reform and Economic Growth in Morocco: An Empirical Analysis
This study analyzes the impact of financial sector reforms from the early 1990s on, promoting economic growth in Morocco. To derive feasible policy implications, we estimate not only pooled regressions, but also variance decompositions of GDP growth rates to examine what proxy measures of financial development are most important in economic growth over time and how much they contribute to economic growth across geographic regions and income groups. We find strong linkages between financial development and economic growth in high-income OECD countries, but not in East Asian & Pacific, South Asian, and Sub-Saharan African regions, in the short run. Therefore, it may be necessary for Morocco to make different policy efforts to achieve steady economic growth in the long run.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postal: Federal Hall, 30 N. 7th St., Room 318, Terre Haute IN 47809|
Web page: http://www2.indstate.edu/business/nfi/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert G. King & Ross Levine, 1993.
"Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-737.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Graff, Michael, 2002. "Causal Links between Financial Activity and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from a Cross-Country Analysis, 1970-1990," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 119-33, April.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1989.
"Quality Ladders in the Theory of Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3099, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sergio T. Rebelo, 1990.
"Long Run Policy Analysis and Long Run Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pagano, Marco, 1993. "Financial markets and growth: An overview," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 613-622, April.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1991. "Quality Ladders in the Theory of Growth," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(1), pages 43-61.
- Levine, Ross, 1996.
"Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1678, The World Bank.
- Ross Levine, 1997. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Khalifa Al-Yousif, Yousif, 2002. "Financial development and economic growth: Another look at the evidence from developing countries," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 131-150.
- Boulila Ghazi & Trabelsi Mohamed, 2004. "The Causality Issues in the Finance and Growth Nexus: Emperical Evidence from Middle East and North African Countries," Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 35-50, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nfi:nfiwps:2007-wp-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ray Thomas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.