Bank credit and economic growth
This manuscript examines the link between bank lending and economic growth for European Union (EU-27). The period was examined, between 1990 and 2010. We apply a dynamic panel data (GMM-System estimator). This estimator permits the researchers to solve the problems of serial correlation, heteroskedasticity and endogeneity for some explanatory variables .As the results show, savings indeed promotes growth. The inflation has a negative impact on economic growth as previous studies. Our results show that domestic credit discourages the growth.
|Date of creation:||15 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thorsten Beck & Ross Levine & Norman Loayza, 1999.
"Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
56, Central Bank of Chile.
- Ross Levine & Norman Loayza & Thorsten Beck, 2002. "Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Leonardo Hernández & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking, Financial Integration, and International Crises, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 2, pages 031-084 Central Bank of Chile.
- Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 2000. "Financial intermediation and growth: Causality and causes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 31-77, August.
- Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 1999. "Financial intermediation and growth : Causality and causes," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2059, The World Bank.
- Padovano, Fabio & Galli, Emma, 2002. "Comparing the growth effects of marginal vs. average tax rates and progressivity," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 529-544, September.
- Lai, Mingyong & Peng, Shuijun & BAO, Qun, 2006. "Technology spillovers, absorptive capacity and economic growth," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 300-320.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Merton H. Miller, 2012.
"Financial Markets and Economic Growth,"
Journal of Applied Corporate Finance,
Morgan Stanley, vol. 24(1), pages 8-13, 03.
- Nuno Carlos LEITÃO, 2010. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: A Panel Data Approach," Theoretical and Applied Economics, Asociatia Generala a Economistilor din Romania - AGER, vol. 10(10(551)), pages 15-24, October.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998.
"Law and Finance,"
3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Richard Blundell & Stephen Bond, 2000.
"GMM Estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 321-340.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1999. "GMM estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions," IFS Working Papers W99/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Rebelo, Sergio, 1991.
"Long-Run Policy Analysis and Long-Run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 500-521, June.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1989.
"Quality Ladders in the Theory of Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3099, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pagano, Marco, 1993. "Financial markets and growth: An overview," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 613-622, April.
- Max Gillman & Michal Kejak, 2004.
"Inflation and Balanced-Path Growth with Alternative Payment Mechanisms,"
IEHAS Discussion Papers
0402, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Max Gillman & Michal Kejak, 2005. "Inflation and Balanced-Path Growth with Alternative Payment Mechanisms," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(500), pages 247-270, 01.
- Gillman, Max & Kejak, Michal, 2005. "Inflation and Balanced-Path Growth with Alternative Payment Mechanisms," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2005/15, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Gillman, Max & Nakov, Anton, 2005.
"Granger Causality of the Inflation-Growth Mirror in Accession Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4845, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Max Gillman & Anton Nakov, 2004. "Granger causality of the inflation-growth mirror in accession countries," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 12(4), pages 653-681, December.
- Onaran, Ozlem & Stockhammer, Engelbert, 2008. "The effect of FDI and foreign trade on wages in the Central and Eastern European Countries in the post-transition era: A sectoral analysis for the manufacturing industry," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 66-80, March.
- Steven F. Koch & Niek J. Schoeman & Jurie J. Tonder, 2005. "Economic Growth And The Structure Of Taxes In South Africa: 1960-2002," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 73(2), pages 190-210, 06.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hisako Kai & Shigeyuki Hamori, 2009.
"Globalization, financial depth, and inequality in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 2025-2037.
- Hisako KAI & Shigeyuki HAMORI, 2009. "Globalization, Financial Depth, and Inequality in Sub-Saharan Africa," Discussion Papers 0912, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University.
- Aubhik Khan, 1999.
"Financial development and economic growth,"
99-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- King, Robert G & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-37, August.
- M. Kabir Hassan & Jung Suk-Yu, 2007.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: New Evidence from Panel Data,"
NFI Working Papers
2007-WP-10, Indiana State University, Scott College of Business, Networks Financial Institute.
- Hassan, M. Kabir & Sanchez, Benito & Yu, Jung-Suk, 2011. "Financial development and economic growth: New evidence from panel data," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 88-104, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42664. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.