Approaching a problem of the long-run real equilibrium exchange rate of Polish zloty while entering the ERM-2 and Euro zone
Taking into account a large number of types of nominal and real exchange rates, while estimating the real equilibrium exchange rate, one should always remember that there is no a single, universal equilibrium exchange rate. A point value or a path of that exchange rate depends on the adopted definitions and assumptions as well as on the method and purpose of the analysis. However, a value added of each estimation of the equilibrium exchange rate is an answer, whether the economic policy causes upset or stabilisation of the economy. Moreover, in the period of discussion on the exchange rate of accession to ERM-2, showing an interval of the exchange rate where all values of the exchange rate ensure at least suboptimal behaviour of the economy may help to make a decision on the date of accession to ERM-2 that will minimise costs of retention of the exchange rate within a definite currency band. For Poland, estimated by the NATREX method the long-run real equilibrium exchange rate ensures the internal equilibrium with annual growth rates of GDP amounting to 4.1%, comprised of growth of consumption by 4% p.a., investment by 8.7%, volume of exports by 8.5% and volume of imports by 8.1% p.a. Estimating on the ground of real exchange rates an approximate value of nominal exchange rates, one can state that the long-term equilibrium in the economy is ensured with the exchange rate of 3.80-3.90 zlotys for 1 euro. The current exchange rate will probably approach the equilibrium exchange rate at the turn of 2010 and 2011, and it will remain near that level over 5-6 quarters. This means that in that period cost of retention of the PLN exchange rate within a narrow band of fluctuations is relatively the least. The next period where the current exchange rate should approach the optimal exchange rate is 2014. Then, also in the medium term, the exchange rate of zloty should be comprised within the interval of 3.80-3.90 (assuming the stable exchange rate of USD/EUR=1.40)
|Date of creation:||04 Oct 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Discussion Papers of the Institute for Market, Consumption and Business Cycles Research Discussion Papers.99(2009): pp. 1-30|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Égert, Balázs & Halpern, László, 2005.
"Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Central and Eastern Europe: A Meta-Regression Analysis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4869, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Egert, Balazs & Halpern, Laszlo, 2006. "Equilibrium exchange rates in Central and Eastern Europe: A meta-regression analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1359-1374, May.
- Balázs Égert & László Halpern, 2005. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Central and Eastern Europe: A Meta-Regression Analysis," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp769, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Égert, Balázs & Halpern, László, 2005. "Equilibrium exchange rates in Central and Eastern Europe : A meta-regression analysis," BOFIT Discussion Papers 4/2005, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Daniela Federici & Giancarlo Gandolfo, 2001.
"Endogenous Growth in an Open Economy and the Real Exchange Rate,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
526, CESifo Group Munich.
- Daniela Federici & Giancarlo Gandolfo, 2002. "Endogenous Growth in an Open Economy and the Real Exchange Rate," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 499-518, December.
- Evans, Martin D.D. & Lyons, Richard K., 2008.
"How is macro news transmitted to exchange rates?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 26-50, April.
- Martin Cincibuch & Jiří Podpiera, 2006.
"Beyond Balassa-Samuelson: Real appreciation in tradables in transition countries,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 14(3), pages 547-573, 07.
- Martin Cincibuch & Jiri Podpiera, 2004. "Beyond Balassa - Samuelson: Real Appreciation in Tradables in Transition Countries," Working Papers 2004/09, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Horvath, Roman & Komarek, Lubos, 2006. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in EU New Members: Applicable for Setting the ERM II Central Parity?," MPRA Paper 1180, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bulir, Ales & Smidkova, Katerina, 2005.
"Exchange rates in the new EU accession countries: What have we learned from the forerunners?,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 163-186, June.
- Katerina SmÃdkovÃ¡ & Ales Bulir, 2005. "Exchange Rates in the New EU Accession Countries; What Have We Learned from the Forerunners?," IMF Working Papers 05/27, International Monetary Fund.
- Ales Bulir & Katerina Smidkova, 2004. "Exchange Rates in the New EU Accession Countries: What Have We Learned from the Forerunners," Working Papers 2004/10, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Balazs Egert, 2007.
"Real Convergence, Price Level Convergence and Inflation Differentials in Europe,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp895, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Balázs Égert, 2007. "Real Convergence, Price Level Convergence and Inflation Differentials in Europe," Working Papers 138, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Balázs Egert, 2007. "Real Convergence, Price Level Convergence and Inflation Differentials in Europe," CESifo Working Paper Series 2127, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rebecca L Driver & Peter F Westaway, 2005. "Concepts of equilibrium exchange rates," Bank of England working papers 248, Bank of England.
- Michal Rubaszek, 2004. "A Model of Balance of Payments Equilibrium Exchange Rate," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 42(3), pages 5-22, May.
- Enrique Alberola & Daniel Navia, 2008. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in New EU Members: External Imbalances versus Real Convergence," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 605-619, 08.
- Stein, Jerome L., 1990. "Introduction to special issue on 'real and nominal exchange rates'," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 839-843, November.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Ricci, Luca Antonio, 2007. "Real exchange rates, imperfect substitutability, and imperfect competition," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 639-664, December.
- Giancarlo Gandolfo & Alberto Felettigh, 1998. "The NATREX: an Alternative Approach Theory and Empirical Verifications," Working Papers 52, Sapienza University of Rome, CIDEI.
- Stein, Jerome L., 1990. "The real exchange rate," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 1045-1078, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:19549. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.