Foreign Markets Entry Mode Decision for Italian Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises
Using a resource-based view model, this paper examines the main factors influencing Small and Medium-Sized Enterprise (SME) international entry mode selection. In addition, a possible relationship between firms belonging to industrial districts and the entry mode choice has been verified. Data for the analysis of this study were collected interviewing 221 owners/managers of SMEs in Italy. Results showed that entry mode decisions are mainly influenced by firm specific factors. Furthermore, the study does not support the hypothesis of a connection between the firm’s belonging to an industrial district and firms’ behavior in entry mode selection. This study has made it possible to detect by a resource-based perspective the main factors influencing the choice of entry modes.
|Date of creation:||20 Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:||31 Oct 2011|
|Publication status:||Published in International Journal of Business and Management 2.7(2012): pp. 3-16|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Homin & Chen, Tain-Jy, 2003. "Governance structures in strategic alliances: transaction cost versus resource-based perspective," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 1-14, February.
- James D Goodnow & James E Hansz, 1972. "Enviromental Determinants of Overseas Market Entry Strategies*," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 3(1), pages 33-50, March.
- Brad Christerson, 1997. "The Third China? Emerging industrial districts in rural China," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(4), pages 569-588, December.
- Dosoglu-Guner, Berrin, 2001. "Can organizational behavior explain the export intention of firms? The effects of organizational culture and ownership type," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 71-89, February.
- Mingchun Sun & Edison Tse, 2009. "The Resource-Based View of Competitive Advantage in Two-Sided Markets," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 45-64, 01.
- Yigang Pan & David K Tse, 2000. "The Hierarchical Model of Market Entry Modes," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(4), pages 535-554, December.
- Ivo Zander & Udo Zander, 2005. "The Inside Track: On the Important (But Neglected) Role of Customers in the Resource-Based View of Strategy and Firm Growth," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(8), pages 1519-1548, December.
- Cawthorne, Pamela M., 1995. "Of networks and markets: The rise and rise of a South Indian town, the example of Tiruppur's cotton knitwear industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 43-56, January.
- W Chan Kim & Peter Hwang, 1992. "Global Strategy and Multinationals' Entry Mode Choice," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(1), pages 29-53, March.
- F. Xavier Molina-Morales, 2002. "Industrial districts and innovation: the case of the Spanish ceramic tiles industry," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 317-335, October.
- McDougall, Patricia Phillips & Oviatt, Benjamin M., 1996. "New venture internationalization, strategic change, and performance: A follow-up study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 23-40, January.
- Fletcher, Richard, 2001. "A holistic approach to internationalisation," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 25-49, February.
- M Krishna Erramilli & Sanjeev Agarwal & Chekitan S Dev, 2002. "Choice Between Non-Equity Entry Modes: An Organizational Capability Perspective," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(2), pages 223-242, June.
- J R Brown & C S Dev & Z Zhou, 2003. "Broadening the foreign market entry mode decision: separating ownership and control," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(5), pages 473-488, September.
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- Gatignon, Hubert & Anderson, Erin, 1988. "The Multinational Corporation's Degree of Control over Foreign Subsidiaries: An Empirical Test of a Transaction Cost Explanation," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 305-36, Fall.
- Pol Herrmann & Deepak K. Datta, 2006. "CEO Experiences: Effects on the Choice of FDI Entry Mode," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(4), pages 755-778, 06.
- P. N. O'Farrell & P. A. Wood & J. Zheng, 1998. "Regional Influences on Foreign Market Development by Business Service Companies: Elements of a Strategic Context Explanation," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 31-48.
- Quer, Diego & Claver, Enrique & Andreu, Rosario, 2007. "Foreign market entry mode in the hotel industry: The impact of country- and firm-specific factors," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 362-376, June.
- Erin Anderson & Hubert Gatignon, 1986. "Modes of Foreign Entry: A Transaction Cost Analysis and Propositions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 1-26, September.
- Gomes-Casseres, Benjamin, 1989. "Ownership structures of foreign subsidiaries : Theory and evidence," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Molina-Morales, F. Xavier, 2001. "European industrial districts: Influence of geographic concentration on performance of the firm," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 277-294.
- Sanjeev Agarwal & Sridhar N Ramaswami, 1992. "Choice of Foreign Market Entry Mode: Impact of Ownership, Location and Internationalization Factors," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Mitja Ruzzier & Bostjan Antoncic & Maja Konecnik, 2006. "The Resource-based Approach to the Internationalisation of SMEs: Differences in Resource Bundles between Internationalised and Non-Internationalised Companies," Zagreb International Review of Economics and Business, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb, vol. 9(2), pages 95-116, November.
- Tan, Benjamin & Erramilli, Krishna & Liang, Tan Wee, 2001. "The influence of dissemination risks, strategic control and global management skills on firms' modal decision in host countries," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 323-340, June.
- Davidson, William H., 1983. "Market similarity and market selection: Implications for international marketing strategy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 439-456, December.
- Richard De Martino & David Mc Hardy Reid & Stelios C. Zygliodopoulos, 2006. "Balancing localization and globalization:exploring the impact of firm internationalization on a regional cluster," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 1-24, January.
- M Krishna Erramilli, 1991. "The Experience Factor in Foreign Market Entry Behavior of Service Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(3), pages 479-501, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:50067. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.