Social Protection and Food Security in Sub-Saharan Africa: An Evaluation of Cash Transfer Programmes
This paper evaluates the effects of cash transfer (CT) programmes introduced during the 1990s and 2000s on food security in a sample of sub-Saharan African countries. We apply the synthetic control method to compare changes in the post-intervention food insecurity trajectories of economies affected by CT programmes relative to their unaffected counterparts. The results suggest that CT programmes exert differential effects on the prevalence of undernourishment. Although the estimates in the upper-middle income countries in our sample show mixed effects for the application of CT programmes on food insecurity, these effects appear to be important in low-income and fragile sub-Saharan countries. Robustness analysis via placebo experiments confirms the soundness of our results, and their implications for policymakers are discussed.
|Date of creation:||05 Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abadie, Alberto & Diamond, Alexis & Hainmueller, Jens, 2010. "Synthetic Control Methods for Comparative Case Studies: Estimating the Effect of Californiaâ€™s Tobacco Control Program," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 105(490), pages 493-505.
- Esther Duflo, 2011.
"Women's Empowerment and Economic Development,"
NBER Working Papers
17702, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gilligan, Daniel O. & Hoddinott, John & Taffesse, Alemayehu Seyoum, 2008.
"The impact of Ethiopia's Productive Safety Net Programme and its linkages:,"
IFPRI discussion papers
839, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Daniel Gilligan & John Hoddinott & Alemayehu Seyoum Taffesse, 2009. "The Impact of Ethiopia's Productive Safety Net Programme and its Linkages," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(10), pages 1684-1706.
- Francesco Burchi & Pasquale De Muro, 2012. "A Human Development and Capability Approach to Food Security: Conceptual Framework and Informational Basis," UNDP Africa Policy Notes 2012-009, United Nations Development Programme, Regional Bureau for Africa.
- Ian Thynne & Burns, 2007. "Editorial Introduction," Asia Pacific Journal of Public Administration, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 1-2, June.
- Barrett , Christopher B & Carter , Michael R & Ikegami , Munenobu, 2008. "Poverty traps and social protection," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 42752, The World Bank.
- Miller, Candace M. & Tsoka, Maxton & Reichert, Kathryn, 2011. "The impact of the Social Cash Transfer Scheme on food security in Malawi," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 230-238, April.
- Behrman, Jere R. & Wolfe, Barbara L., 1987. "How does mother's schooling affect family health, nutrition, medical care usage, and household sanitation?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 185-204.
- Cavatorta, Elisa & Pieroni, Luca, 2012.
"Background Risk of Food Insecurity and Insurance Behaviour: Evidence from the West Bank,"
NEPS Working Papers
6/2012, Network of European Peace Scientists.
- Cavatorta, Elisa & Pieroni, Luca, 2013. "Background risk of food insecurity and insurance behaviour: Evidence from the West Bank," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 278-290.
- Elisa Cavatorta & Luca Pieroni, 2012. "Background Risk of Food Insecurity and Insurance Behaviour: Evidence from the West Bank," FOODSECURE Working papers 3, LEI Wageningen UR.
- Elisa Cavatorta & Luca Pieroni, 2013. "Background Risk of Food Insecurity and Insurance Behaviour: Evidence from the West Bank," Working Paper Series 06_13, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Masset, Edoardo, 2011. "A review of hunger indices and methods to monitor country commitment to fighting hunger," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(S1), pages S102-S108.
- Gentilini, Ugo & Omamo, Steven Were, 2011. "Social protection 2.0: Exploring issues, evidence and debates in a globalizing world," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 329-340, June.
- Bernd Schubert & Rachel Slater, 2006. "Social Cash Transfers in Low-Income African Countries: Conditional or Unconditional?," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 24(5), pages 571-578, 09.
- Kassouf, Ana L & Senauer, Benjamin, 1996. "Direct and Indirect Effects of Parental Education on Malnutrition among Children in Brazil: A Full Income Approach," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(4), pages 817-38, July.
- de Brauw, Alan & Hoddinott, John, 2011.
"Must conditional cash transfer programs be conditioned to be effective? The impact of conditioning transfers on school enrollment in Mexico,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 359-370, November.
- de Brauw, Alan & Hoddinott, John, 2008. "Must conditional cash transfer programs be conditioned to be effective?: The impact of conditioning transfers on school enrollment in Mexico," IFPRI discussion papers 757, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Marito Garcia & Charity M. T. Moore, 2012. "The Cash Dividend : The Rise of Cash Transfer Programs in Sub-Saharan Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2246, November.
- Alberto Abadie & Javier Gardeazabal, 2003. "The Economic Costs of Conflict: A Case Study of the Basque Country," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 113-132, March.
- Svedberg, Peter, 2002. "Undernutrition Overestimated," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(1), pages 5-36, October.
- Sabates-Wheeler, Rachel & Devereux, Stephen, 2010. "Cash transfers and high food prices: Explaining outcomes on Ethiopia's Productive Safety Net Programme," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 274-285, August.
- Margaret Grosh & Carlo del Ninno & Emil Tesliuc & Azedine Ouerghi, 2008. "For Protection and Promotion : The Design and Implementation of Effective Safety Nets," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6582, November.
- Gamal Ibrahim & Abbi Kedir & Sebastian Torres, 2007. "Household-level Credit Constraints in Urban Ethiopia," Discussion Papers in Economics 07/03, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Candace M. Miller & Maxton Tsoka & Kathryn Reichert, 2010. "Targeting Cash to Malawi's Ultra-Poor: A Mixed Methods Evaluation," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 28(4), pages 481-502, 07.
- Masuku, Micah B. & Sithole, M.M., 2009. "The impact of HIV/AIDS on food security and household vulnerability in Swaziland," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 48(2), June.
- Nanak Kakwani & Fabio Veras Soares & Hyun H. Son, 2005. "Conditional cash transfers in African countries," Working Papers 9, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Masset, Edoardo, 2011. "A review of hunger indices and methods to monitor country commitment to fighting hunger," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(Supplemen), pages S102-S108, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49536. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.