Determinants of Capital Structure: Evidence from a Major Emerging Market Economy
This paper uses a new and comprehensive dataset to investigate the capital structure of non-financial firms in a major emerging market economy, Turkey. We study both statistical and economic significance of four types of leverage factors: Firm-specific, tax-related, industry-specific, and macroeconomic. Results suggest that tax-related factors and asset tangibility are the most economically significant factors for short-term and long-term debt ratios, respectively. Results also suggest that inflation is an important determinant of leverage and the most economically significant macroeconomic factor. Moreover, we provide evidence that firms adjust their leverage towards the industry median, that firms match the maturity of their assets and liabilities, and that inflows of foreign capital have a marked influence on firms’ capital structures, particularly on large and mature non-manufacturing firms. We also conduct a systematic analysis of capital structure differences between manufacturing and non-manufacturing, small and large, and young and mature firms. Overall, the trade-off theory appears to be more successful than the pecking order theory in accounting for the capital structure of Turkish non-financial firms.
|Date of creation:||17 Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Myers, Stewart C., 2003. "Financing of corporations," Handbook of the Economics of Finance, in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 4, pages 215-253 Elsevier.
- Booth, L. & Asli Demirgu-Kunt, V.A. & Maksimovic, V., 1999.
"Capital Structure in Developing Countries,"
Rotman School of Management - Finance
00-001, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- Murray Z. Frank & Vidhan K. Goyal, 2009.
"Capital Structure Decisions: Which Factors Are Reliably Important?,"
Financial Management Association International, vol. 38(1), pages 1-37, 03.
- Frank, Murray Z. & Goyal, Vidhan K., 2009. "Capital Structure Decisions: Which Factors are Reliably Important?," MPRA Paper 22525, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mehmet Emin YILDIZ & Abdullah YALAMA & Güven SEVİL, 2009. "Sermaye yapısı teorilerinin geçerliliğinin test edilmesi: Panel veri analizi kullanılarak İMKB-imalat sektörü üzerinde ampirik bir uygulama," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 24(278), pages 25-45.
- Wiwattanakantang, Yupana, 1999. "An empirical study on the determinants of the capital structure of Thai firms," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 371-403, August.
- Geoffrey Shuetrim & Philip Lowe & Steve Morling, 1993. "The Determinants of Corporate Leverage: A Panel Data Analysis," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp9313, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1991. " The Theory of Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 297-355, March.
- Wald, John K, 1999. "How Firm Characteristics Affect Capital Structure: An International Comparison," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(2), pages 161-87, Summer.
- Huang, Guihai & Song, Frank M., 2006. "The determinants of capital structure: Evidence from China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 14-36.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- de Jong, A. & Kabir, R. & Nguyen, T.T., 2007.
"Capital Structure around the World: The Roles of Firm- and Country-Specific Determinants,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2007-058-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- de Jong, Abe & Kabir, Rezaul & Nguyen, Thuy Thu, 2008. "Capital structure around the world: The roles of firm- and country-specific determinants," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1954-1969, September.
- Stohs, Mark Hoven & Mauer, David C, 1996. "The Determinants of Corporate Debt Maturity Structure," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69(3), pages 279-312, July.
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-75, May.
- Christopher Hennessy & Toni Whited, 2004.
2004 Meeting Papers
592, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994.
"What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data,"
NBER Working Papers
4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995. " What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-60, December.
- DeAngelo, Harry & Masulis, Ronald W., 1980. "Optimal capital structure under corporate and personal taxation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 3-29, March.
- Cebenoyan, A. Sinan & Fischer, Klaus P. & Papaioannou, George J., 1995. "Corporate financial structure under inflation and financial repression: A comparative study of North American and emerging markets firms," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 25-45.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 1999. "Institutions, financial markets, and firm debt maturity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 295-336, December.
- Muhammad Azeem Qureshi, 2009. "Does pecking order theory explain leverage behaviour in Pakistan?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(17), pages 1365-1370.
- Antoniou, Antonios & Guney, Yilmaz & Paudyal, Krishna, 2008. "The Determinants of Capital Structure: Capital Market-Oriented versus Bank-Oriented Institutions," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(01), pages 59-92, March.
- Fischer, Edwin O. & Heinkel, Robert & Zechner, Josef, 1989. "Dynamic Recapitalization Policies and the Role of Call Premia and Issue Discounts," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(04), pages 427-446, December.
- Bradley, Michael & Jarrell, Gregg A & Kim, E Han, 1984. " On the Existence of an Optimal Capital Structure: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 857-78, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:48415. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.