From state to market revisited: more empirical evidence on the efficiency of public (and privately-owned) enterprises
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Carvalho, Pedro & Marques, Rui Cunha & Berg, Sanford, 2012.
"A meta-regression analysis of benchmarking studies on water utilities market structure,"
Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 40-49.
- Carvalho, Pedro & Marques, Rui Cunha & Berg, Sanford, 2011. "A meta-regression analysis of benchmarking studies on water utilities market structure," MPRA Paper 32894, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Boardman, Anthony E & Vining, Aidan R, 1989. "Ownership and Performance in Competitive Environments: A Comparison of the Performance of Private, Mixed, and State-Owned Enterprises," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(1), pages 1-33, April.
- Simeon Djankov & Peter Murrell, 2002.
"Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 739-792, September.
- Djankov, Simeon & Murrell, Peter, 2002. "Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers 3319, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Cavaliere & Simona Scabrosetti, 2008.
"Privatization And Efficiency: From Principals And Agents To Political Economy,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(4), pages 685-710, September.
- Alberto Cavaliere, 2006. "Privatization and Efficiency: from Principals and Agents to Political Economy," Working Papers 2006.99, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Foreman-Peck, James & Millward, Robert, 1994. "Public and Private Ownership of British Industry 1820-1990," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198203599.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1991. "Privatization and Incentives," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(0), pages 84-105, Special I.
- Bel Germà & Fageda Xavier & E. Mildred, 2014.
"Is private production of public services cheaper than public production? A meta-regression analysis of solid waste and water services,"
Public administration issues,
Higher School of Economics, issue 3, pages 103-140.
- Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda & Mildred E. Warner, 2010. "Is private production of public services cheaper than public production? A meta-regression analysis of solid waste and water services," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(3), pages 553-577.
- Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda & Mildred E. Warner, 2009. "Is Private Production of Public Services Cheaper than Public Production? A meta-regression analysis of solid waste and water services," IREA Working Papers 200923, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Oct 2009.
- Germa Bel & Anton Costas, 2006. "Do Public Sector Reforms Get Rusty? Local Privatization in Spain," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 1-24.
- Oliver Hart & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997.
"The Proper Scope of Government: Theory and an Application to Prisons,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1127-1161.
- Oliver Hart & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "The Proper Scope of Government: Theory and an Application to Prisons," NBER Working Papers 5744, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oliver Hart & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1996. "The Proper Scope of Government: Theory and an Application to Prisons," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1778, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Foreman-Peck, James & Waterson, Michael, 1985. "The Comparative Efficiency of Public and Private Enterprise in Britain: Electricity Generation between the World Wars," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(380a), pages 83-95, Supplemen.
- Saul Estrin & Jan Hanousek & Evzen Kocenda & Jan Svejnar, 2009.
"The Effects of Privatization and Ownership in Transition Economies,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 47(3), pages 699-728, September.
- Estrin, Saul & Hanousek, Jan & Kocenda, Evzen & Svejnar, Jan, 2009. "Effects of privatization and ownership in transition economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4811, The World Bank.
- William L. Megginson & Natalie L. Sutter, 2006. "Privatisation in Developing Countries," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 234-265, July.
- Boubakri, Narjess & Cosset, Jean-Claude & Guedhami, Omrane, 2005. "Liberalization, corporate governance and the performance of privatized firms in developing countries," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 767-790, October.
- David Parker & Colin Kirkpatrick, 2005.
"Privatisation in Developing Countries: A Review of the Evidence and the Policy Lessons,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(4), pages 513-541.
- Parker, David & Kirkpatrick, Colin, 2003. "Privatisation in Developing Countries: A Review of the Evidence and the Policy Lessons," Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers 30623, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Massimo Florio, 2006. "The Great Divestiture: Evaluating the Welfare Impact of the British Privatizations, 1979-1997," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262562227, January.
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- Schmidt, Klaus M, 1996.
"The Costs and Benefits of Privatization: An Incomplete Contracts Approach,"
Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 1-24, April.
- Schmidt, Klaus M., 1996. "The costs and benefits of privatization: An incomplete contracts approach," Munich Reprints in Economics 19773, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Vining, Aidan R & Boardman, Anthony E, 1992. "Ownership versus Competition: Efficiency in Public Enterprise," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 73(2), pages 205-239, March.
- De Fraja, Giovanni, 1993. "Productive efficiency in public and private firms," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 15-30, January.
- Willner, Johan, 2001. "Ownership, efficiency, and political interference," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 723-748, November.
- Schmidt, Klaus M., 1996. "Incomplete contracts and privatization," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 569-579, April.
- Lidia Ceriani & Massimo Florio, 2011. "Consumer surplus and the reform of network industries: a primer," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 102(2), pages 111-122, March.
- John Vickers & George Yarrow, 1988. "Privatization: An Economic Analysis," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262720116, January.
- repec:hrv:faseco:30727607 is not listed on IDEAS
- Villalonga, Belen, 2000. "Privatization and efficiency: differentiating ownership effects from political, organizational, and dynamic effects," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 43-74, May.
- Frey, Bruno S., 1997. "On the relationship between intrinsic and extrinsic work motivation1," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 427-439, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ajay Chhibber & Swati Gupta, 2017. "Bolder Disinvestment or Better Performance Contracts? Which Way Forward for Indiaâ€™s State-Owned Enterprises," Working Papers id:12127, eSocialSciences.
- Nepal, Rabindra & Foster, John, 2015.
"Electricity networks privatization in Australia: An overview of the debate,"
Economic Analysis and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 12-24.
- Rabindra Nepal & John Foster, 2015. "Electricity Networks Privatization in Australia: An Overview of the Debate," Discussion Papers Series 541, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Ajay Chhibber & Swati Gupta, 2017. "Bolder Divestment Not Better Performance Contracts are the Solution for India's Public Sector," Working Papers 2017-19, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
More about this item
KeywordsPublic enterprises; publicly provided goods; efficiency; privatization; firm performance;
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- H42 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Publicly Provided Private Goods
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L32 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Public Enterprises; Public-Private Enterprises
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2013-06-16 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-HME-2013-06-16 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-TRA-2013-06-16 (Transition Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:47570. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .