Market value of the firms and R&D investment: Theoretical overview and empirical estimation for the panel of countries
The aim of this paper is to investigate the issue of R&D investment and the market value of the firm. This idea dating back from Arrow paper, later developed by Paul Romer but in the area of economic growth. Zvi Griliches (1979), first introduced the production function, which later would be used in a vast literature from this area (Market value of the firms and R&D investment). In the theoretical section of this paper we are describing Tobin’s original model, and Abel’s (1984) model, this models relates Tobin’s quotient with intangible assets of the company. In the empirical part we develop cross-section time series model (Feasible Generalized Least Squares Model), for a panel of countries in Europe including UK and Turkey, in total of 11 panels. Later we test that model by estimating the marginal effects of R&D investment with Tobin’s q on a small economy such as R. Macedonia. The results exert positive and statistically significant relationship between market value of the firms and R&D investment.
|Date of creation:||31 Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Missaka Warusawitharana, 2008.
"Research and development, profits and firm value: a structural estimation,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2008-52, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Missaka Warusawitharana, 2015. "Research and development, profits, and firm value: A structural estimation," Quantitative Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 6(2), pages 531-565, 07.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Grid Thoma & Salvatore Torrisi, 2007.
"The market value of patents and R&D: Evidence from European firms,"
NBER Working Papers
13426, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Grid Thoma & Salvatore Torrisi, 2006. "The market value of patents and R&D: Evidence from European firms," KITeS Working Papers 186, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Nov 2006.
- Iain Cockburn & Zvi Griliches, 1987.
"Industry Effects and Appropriability Measures in the Stock Markets Valuation of R&D and Patents,"
NBER Working Papers
2465, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cockburn, Iain & Griliches, Zvi, 1988. "Industry Effects and Appropriability Measures in the Stock Market's Valuation of R&D and Patents," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 419-23, May.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Megna, Pamela & Klock, Mark, 1993. "The Impact on Intangible Capital on Tobin's q in the Semiconductor Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 265-69, May.
- Connolly, Robert A & Hirschey, Mark, 1984. "R&D, Market Structure, and Profits: A Value-Based Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(4), pages 682-86, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:44094. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.