A Dynamic Optimization on Energy Efficiency in Developing Countries
This paper introduces a way for measuring the energy efficiency in economics besides the methods in physics. The linkage among energy efficiency, energy consumption and other macroeconomic variables is demonstrated primarily. Based on the methodology of dynamic optimization, a maximum problem of energy efficiency over time is subjected to the extended Solow growth model and instantaneous investment rate. In this model, energy consumption is set as control variable and investment is regarded as state variable. The analytic solutions can be derived and the diagrammatic analysis provides saddle-point equilibrium. With assigning values to parameters, a numerical simulation is presented; meanwhile the optimal paths of investment and energy consumption can be drawn. The discussion on modelling and implications is organized in the end. The dynamic optimization encourages governments in developing countries to pursue higher energy efficiency as it can reduce energy use without influencing the achievement of steady state in terms of Solow model.
|Date of creation:||24 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brennan, Timothy J., 2010.
"Optimal energy efficiency policies and regulatory demand-side management tests: How well do they match?,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 3874-3885, August.
- Timothy J. Brennan, 2009. "Optimal Energy Efficiency Policies and Regulatory Demand-Side Management Tests: How Well Do They Match?," UMBC Economics Department Working Papers 09-109, UMBC Department of Economics, revised 01 Jan 2009.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1980. "Uncertainty and Exhaustible Resource Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(6), pages 1203-25, December.
- Garg, Prem C. & Sweeney, James L., 1978. "Optimal growth with depletable resources," Resources and Energy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 43-56, September.
- Forster, Bruce A., 1980. "Optimal energy use in a polluted environment," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 321-333, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43749. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.