North-South Technology Spillovers: The Relative Impact of Openness and Foreign R&D
This paper examines the relative contribution of openness and the R&D content of trade to TFP growth for North-South trade-related technology diffusion. The measure of foreign R&D used in the literature on trade-related technology diffusion imposes identical contributions of openness and the R&D content of trade to TFP. We allow these contributions to differ and show that openness has a greater impact on TFP growth than R&D. These results imply that the impact of openness on TFP in developing countries is larger than previously obtained in this literature. In other words, developing countries can obtain larger productivity gains from trade liberalization than previously thought.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in International Economic Journal, 2010, 24 (2), 159-69|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeremy Greenwood, 1997.
"The Third Industrial Revolution,"
American Enterprise Institute, number 53059, September.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan & Hoffmaister, Alexander, 1995.
"North-South R&D Spillovers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1133, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lumenga-Neso, Olivier & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Schiff, Maurice, 2005.
"On `indirect' trade-related R&D spillovers,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1785-1798, October.
- David Greenaway & Neil Foster & Rod Falvey, 2002.
"North-South Trade, Knowledge Spillovers and Growth,"
European Economy Group Working Papers
15, European Economy Group.
- Greenaway, David & Foster, Neil, 2002. "North-South Trade, Knowledge Spillovers and Growth," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 17, pages 650-670.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan, 1993.
"International R&D Spillovers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
840, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Rodolfo Manuelli & Ananth Seshadri, 2003.
"Frictionless Technology Diffusion: The Case of Tractors,"
NBER Working Papers
9604, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodolfo E. Manuelli & Ananth Seshadri, 2003. "Frictionless technology diffusion: the case of tractors," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- Rodolfo E. Manuelli & Ananth Seshadri, 2013. "Frictionless technology diffusion: the case of tractors," Working Papers 2013-022, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Schiff, Maurice & Wang, Yanling & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2002. "Trade-related technology diffusion and the dynamics of North-South and South-South integration," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2861, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp3383. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.