Poland. The EMU entry strategy vs. the monetary issues
The aim of this overview article is to examine and assess monetary issues crucial for the Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) entry strategy. The optimum currency area (OCA) criteria are not used in assessing Polish suitability for the EMU, as they were not decisive in the process of the EMU creation. The degree of the Maastricht criteria fulfilment by the existing members on the examination date, i.e. on 1 January 1997 is analysed. Further, the official European Central Bank (ECB) and Commission position regarding the enlargement of the monetary union is presented. Next, we attempt to present the rationale behind the early EMU strategy in the case of Poland. We also use data on Slovenia to demonstrate and compare different roads and attitudes to the EMU. The state of convergence of monetary and economic variables are presented and assessed. To address the issue of convergence, the ability to sustainably meet the Maastricht criteria are also considered.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:||2007|
|Publication status:||Published in Poznan University of Economics Review 2.7(2007): pp. 59-88|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Golinelli, Roberto & Rovelli, Riccardo, 2005.
"Monetary policy transmission, interest rate rules and inflation targeting in three transition countries,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 183-201, January.
- Roberto Golinelli & Riccardo Rovelli, 2002. "Monetary Policy Transmission, Interest Rate Rules and Inflation Targeting in Three Transition Countries," Eastward Enlargement of the Euro-zone Working Papers wp10, Free University Berlin, Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, revised 01 Aug 2002.
- Charles Van Marrewijk, 2004.
"An Introduction to International Money and Foreign Exchange Markets,"
Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers
2004-07, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Charles van Marrewijk, 2004. "An Introduction to International Money and Foreign Exchange Markets," School of Economics Working Papers 2004-02, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Charles van Marrewijk, 2004. "An introduction to international money and foreign exchange markets," International Finance 0410006, EconWPA.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti, 2002.
"Self-Validating Optimum Currency Areas,"
NBER Working Papers
8783, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Égert, Balázs, 2002. "Investigating the Balassa-Samuelson hypothesis in transition: Do we understand what we see?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 6/2002, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Dubravko Mihaljek & Marc Klau, 2003. "The Balassa-Samuelson effect in central Europe: a disaggregated analysis," BIS Working Papers 143, Bank for International Settlements.
- Bela Balassa, 1964. "The Purchasing-Power Parity Doctrine: A Reappraisal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 584.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1999. "Reforming the Global Economic Architecture: Lessons from Recent Crises," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(4), pages 1508-1522, 08.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Corrinne Ho & Robert N. McCauley, 2003. "Living with flexible exchange rates: issues and recent experience in inflation targeting emerging market economies," BIS Working Papers 130, Bank for International Settlements.
- Lane, Philip R., 2006.
"The Real Effects of EMU,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5536, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane, 2006. "The Real Effects of EMU," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp115, IIIS.
- Balázs Egert, 2007.
"Real Convergence, Price Level Convergence and Inflation Differentials in Europe,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2127, CESifo Group Munich.
- Balazs Egert, 2007. "Real Convergence, Price Level Convergence and Inflation Differentials in Europe," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp895, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Balázs Égert, 2007. "Real Convergence, Price Level Convergence and Inflation Differentials in Europe," Working Papers 138, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Hochreiter, Eduard & Tavlas, George S., 2004. "On the road again: an essay on the optimal path to EMU for the new member states," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 793-816, October.
- Tsoukalis, Loukas, 1997. "The New European Economy Revisited," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774778, March.
- Eduard Hochreiter & Tadeusz Kowalski, 2000.
"Central banks in European emerging market economies in the 1990s,"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 53(212), pages 45-70.
- Eduard Hochreiter & Tadeusz Kowalski, 2000. "Central banks in European emerging market economies in the 1990s," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 53(212), pages 45-70.
- Eduard Hochreiter & Tadeusz Kowalski, 2000. "Central Banks in European Emerging Market Economies in the 1990s," Working Papers 40, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Bohdan Klos & Ewa Wrobel, 2001. "The monetary transmission mechanism and the structural modelling of inflation at the National Bank of Poland," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Modelling aspects of the inflation process and the monetary transmission mechanism in emerging market countries, volume 8, pages 232-251 Bank for International Settlements.
- Balázs Egert, 2002. "Investigating the Balassa-Samuelson hypothesis in the transition: Do we understand what we see? A panel study," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(2), pages 273-309, July.
- Dyson, Kenneth & Featherstone, Kevin, 1999. "The Road To Maastricht: Negotiating Economic and Monetary Union," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296386, March.
- Ronald McKinnon, 2002. "Optimum currency areas and the European experience," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(2), pages 343-364, July.
- Marek Rozkrut, 2003. "The monetary and fiscal policy mix in Poland," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Fiscal issues and central banking in emerging economies, volume 20, pages 214-217 Bank for International Settlements.
- Green, Christopher J. & Holmes, Mark J. & Kowalski, Tadeusz, 2001. "Poland: a successful transition to budget sustainability?," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 161-183, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42599. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.