Labor disruption costs and real wages cyclicality
In this paper, we propose a matching and search model with adjustment costs in the form of labor disruption charges that can generate counter-cyclical real wages. Empirically, we use a measure of wage cyclicality based on the generalized impulse response function of real wages to a shock in a cycle measure. We provide evidence that wages in the United States are counter-cyclical during the first few quarters. The calibration and simulated results of the model match remarkably well the counter-cyclicality obtained from our empirical model.
|Date of creation:||29 Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henry, Brian & Karanassou, Marika & Snower, Dennis J, 2000.
"Adjustment Dynamics and the Natural Rate: An Account of UK Unemployment,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 52(1), pages 178-203, January.
- Snower, Dennis J. & Karanassou, Marika & Henry, Brian, 1999. "Adjustment Dynamics and the Natural Rate: An Account of UK Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 75, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Spencer, David E, 1998. "The Relative Stickiness of Wages and Prices," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(1), pages 120-37, January.
- Wouter J. den Haan & Garey Ramey & Joel Watson, 1997.
"Job Destruction and Propagation of Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
6275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wouter Denhaan & Garey Ramey & Joel Watson, 1997. "FORTRAN code for Job Destruction and Propagation of Shocks," QM&RBC Codes 61, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Julian Messina & Chiara Strozzi & Jarkko Turunen, 2009.
"Real Wages over the Business Cycle: OECD Evidence from the Time and Frequency Domains,"
- Messina, Julian & Strozzi, Chiara & Turunen, Jarkko, 2009. "Real wages over the business cycle: OECD evidence from the time and frequency domains," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1183-1200, June.
- Messina, Julián & Strozzi, Chiara & Turunen, Jarkko, 2009. "Real wages over the business cycle: OECD evidence from the time and frequency domains," Working Paper Series 1003, European Central Bank.
- Julián Messina & Chiara Strozzi & Jarkko Turunen, 2008. "Real Wages over the Business Cycle: OECD Evidence from the Time and Frequency Domains," Center for Economic Research (RECent) 028, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Messina, Julián & Strozzi, Chiara & Turunen, Jarkko, 2008. "Real Wages over the Business Cycle: OECD Evidence from the Time and Frequency Domains," IZA Discussion Papers 3884, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sumner, Scott & Silver, Stephen, 1989. "Real Wages, Employment, and the Phillips Curve," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 706-20, June.
- Blanchard, O.J. & Diamond, P., 1990.
"Ranking, Unemployment Duration, And Wages,"
546, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Abbritti, Mirko & Fahr, Stephan, 2011.
"Macroeconomic implications of downward wage rigidities,"
Working Paper Series
1321, European Central Bank.
- Fahr Staphen & Abbritti Mirko, 2011. "Macroeconomic implications of downward wage rigidities," wp.comunite 0088, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Russell Cooper & Jonathan Willis, 2002.
"The cost of labor adjustment : inferences from the gap,"
Research Working Paper
RWP 02-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Russell Cooper & Jonathan Willis, 2009. "The Cost of Labor Adjustment: Inferences from the Gap," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 12(4), pages 632-647, October.
- Russell W. Cooper & Jonathan Willis, 2003. "The Cost of Labor Adjustment: Inferences from the Gap," NBER Working Papers 10006, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chirinko, Robert S, 1980. "The Real Wage Rate over the Business Cycle," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(3), pages 459-61, August.
- Silva, José Ignacio & Toledo, Manuel, 2009.
"Labor Turnover Costs And The Cyclical Behavior Of Vacancies And Unemployment,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(S1), pages 76-96, May.
- Manuel Toledo & Jose I. Silva, 2005. "Labor Turnover Costs and the Cyclical Behavior of Vacancies and Unemployment," 2005 Meeting Papers 775, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Charles A. Fleischman, 1999. "The causes of business cycles and the cyclicality of real wages," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-53, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Robert Shimer, 2005. "The Cyclical Behavior of Equilibrium Unemployment and Vacancies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 25-49, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42366. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.