Dynamic Price Integration in the Global Gold Market
This paper examines the inter-relationships among gold prices in five global gold markets, namely London, New York, Japan, Hong Kong (since 1 July 1997, a Special Administrative Region (SAR) of China), and Taiwan. We investigate the linkages between Taiwan and the other global gold markets to provide insights for useful investment strategies. The augmenting level-VAR models proposed by Toda and Yamamoto (1995) show that the empirical results find bi-directional causality between the London and New York gold markets, and uni-directional causality from New York to the other markets. In this sense, the New York market has gained a leading role in affecting global gold markets. This empirical finding serves as a predictor for the gold price in global markets.
|Date of creation:||29 Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Some recent development in a concept of causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 199-211.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996.
"Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-18, Nov.-Dec..
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Nicholas Taylor, 1998. "Precious metals and inflation," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 201-210.
- Zapata, Hector O & Rambaldi, Alicia N, 1997.
"Monte Carlo Evidence on Cointegration and Causation,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(2), pages 285-98, May.
- Zapata, Hector O. & Rambaldi, Alicia N., 1996. "Monte Carlo Evidence On Cointegration And Causation," Staff Papers 31690, Louisiana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness.
- Joscha Beckmann & Robert Czudaj, 2012.
"Gold as an Infl ation Hedge in a Time-Varying Coeffi cient Framework,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
0362, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Beckmann, Joscha & Czudaj, Robert, 2013. "Gold as an inflation hedge in a time-varying coefficient framework," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 208-222.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Yuan Yuan & Michael McAleer & Mark A. Thompson, 2009.
"Precious Metals-Exchange Rate Volatility Transmissions and Hedging Strategies,"
CARF-F-187, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Hammoudeh, Shawkat M. & Yuan, Yuan & McAleer, Michael & Thompson, Mark A., 2010. "Precious metals-exchange rate volatility transmissions and hedging strategies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 633-647, October.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Yuan Yuan & Michael McAleer & Mark A. Thompson, 2009. "Precious Metals-Exchange Rate Volatility Transmissions and Hedging Strategies," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-684, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Hammoudeh, S.M. & Yuan, Y. & McAleer, M.J. & Thompson, M.A., 2009. "Precious Metals-Exchange Rate Volatility Transmissions and Hedging Strategies," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2009-38, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Farooq Malik & Michael McAleer, 2011.
"Risk Management of Precious Metals,"
KIER Working Papers
765, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Farooq Malik & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Risk Management of Precious Metals," Working Papers in Economics 10/37, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Farooq Malik & Michael McAleer, 2011. "Risk Management of Precious Metals," Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE 2011-04, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- Hammoudeh, S.M. & Malik, F. & McAleer, M.J., 2010. "Risk management of precious metals," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2010-48, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Sims, Christopher A & Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1990. "Inference in Linear Time Series Models with Some Unit Roots," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 113-44, January.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Capie, Forrest & Mills, Terence C. & Wood, Geoffrey, 2005. "Gold as a hedge against the dollar," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 343-352, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41627. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.