Basel II and bank lending behavior: some likely implications for monetary policy
The new Basel accord is slated to come into effect in India around 2007 raising the question of how the revised standards will influence bank behaviour. Using a simple theoretical model, it is shown that the revised accord will result in asymmetric differences in the efficacy of monetary policy in influencing bank lending. This will, however, depend on a number of factors, including whether banks are constrained by the risk-based capital standards, the credit quality of bank assets and the relative liquidity of banks’ balance sheets. The basic model is empirically explored using data on Indian commercial banks for the period 1996-2004. The analysis indicates that the effect of a contractionary monetary policy will be significantly mitigated provided the proportion of unconstrained to constrained banks in the system is significantly high.
|Date of creation:||18 Mar 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacques, Kevin & Nigro, Peter, 1997. "Risk-based capital, portfolio risk, and bank capital: A simultaneous equations approach," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 533-547.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric, 1995.
"The Capital Crunch: Neither a Borrower nor a Lender Be,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 625-38, August.
- Joe Peek & Eric Rosengren, 1993. "The Capital Crunch: Neither A Borrower Nor A Lender Be," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 243, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1991. "The capital crunch: neither a borrower nor a lender be," Working Papers 91-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Cornett, Marcia Millon & Tehranian, Hassan, 1994. "An examination of voluntary versus involuntary security issuances by commercial banks *1: The impact of capital regulations on common stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 99-122, February.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 1994.
"Monetary Policy and Bank Lending,"
in: Monetary Policy, pages 221-261
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian B. Mulder & Brieuc Monfort, 2000. "Using Credit Ratings for Capital Requirementson Lending to Emerging Market Economies; Possible Impact of a New Basel Accord," IMF Working Papers 00/69, International Monetary Fund.
- Nachane, D M & Ray, Partha & Ghosh, Saibal, 2005. "The new Basel capital accord: Rationale, design and tentative implications for India," MPRA Paper 17426, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Alan S. Blinder, 1989.
"The federal funds rate and the channels of monetary transmission,"
89-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Bernanke, Ben S & Blinder, Alan S, 1992. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transmission," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 901-21, September.
- Ben Bernanke, 1990. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transnission," NBER Working Papers 3487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Haltiwanger, 1987.
"Responders Versus Nonresponders: A New Perspective on Heterogeneity,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
436, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Haltiwanger, John & Waldman, Michael, 1991. "Responders versus Non-responders: A New Perspective on Heterogeneity," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(408), pages 1085-1102, September.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1995.
"Is bank lending important for the transmission of monetary policy: an overview,"
Conference Series ; [Proceedings],
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 39, pages 1-14.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1995. "Is bank lending important for the transmission of monetary policy? An overview," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Nov, pages 3-11.
- Jeremy C. Stein & Anil K. Kashyap, 2000. "What Do a Million Observations on Banks Say about the Transmission of Monetary Policy?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 407-428, June.
- Chami, Ralph & Cosimano, Thomas F., 2010.
"Monetary policy with a touch of Basel,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 161-175, May.
- Raj Aggarwal & Kevin T. Jacques, 1998. "Assessing the impact of prompt corrective action on bank capital and risk," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 23-32.
- Nachane, D M & Ghosh, Saibal, 2004. "Credit rating and bank behavior in India: Possible implications of the new Basel accord," MPRA Paper 17491, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thakor, Anjan V, 1996. " Capital Requirements, Monetary Policy, and Aggregate Bank Lending: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 279-324, March.
- Saibal Ghosh & D. M. Nachane & Aditya Narain & Satyananda Sahoo, 2003. "Capital requirements and bank behaviour: an empirical analysis of Indian public sector banks," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 145-156.
- Kopecky, Kenneth J. & VanHoose, David, 2004. "A model of the monetary sector with and without binding capital requirements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 633-646, March.
- C. H. Furfine, 2000. "Evidence on the response of US banks to changes in capital requirements," BIS Working Papers 88, Bank for International Settlements.
- Blum, Jurg & Hellwig, Martin, 1995. "The macroeconomic implications of capital adequacy requirements for banks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 739-749, April.
- Nachane, D M & Ray, Partha & Ghosh, Saibal, 2004. "The New Basel Capital Accord: A Primer with an Indian Focus," MPRA Paper 17397, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1995. "Bank lending and the transmission of monetary policy," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 39, pages 47-79.
- Kishan, Ruby P & Opiela, Timothy P, 2000. "Bank Size, Bank Capital, and the Bank Lending Channel," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(1), pages 121-41, February.
- Joseph G. Haubrich & Paul Wachtel, 1993. "Capital requirements and shifts in commercial bank portfolios," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q III, pages 2-15.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:3841. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.