How does relationship-based governance accommodate new entrants? Evidence from the cycle rickshaw rental market
A large theoretical and empirical literature suggests that the salience of network-based ties in contract enforcement under relation-based governance systems limits market expansion. This paper illustrates the incorporation of new agents into market exchange under conditions of informal contract governance using a case study of the cycle-rickshaw rental market in a city in central India. Our analytical model formalizes features of this market through a higher penalty of default for migrants that introduces a gap between the ex ante risk for out-of-network agents and the ex post risk. The model predicts a sorting equilibrium such that migrants are more likely to participate in the rental contract. We test this prediction using primary survey data with multidimensional measures of migrant status and find that it is a significant predictor of rental contract participation, even controlling for credit access and other variables that moderate the rickshaw driver’s ability to own a cycle-rickshaw.
|Date of creation:||08 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cooter, Robert & Landa, Janet T., 1984. "Personal versus impersonal trade: The size of trading groups and contract law," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 15-22, June.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 1996. "The enforcement of commercial contracts in Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 427-448, March.
- John Shuhe Li, 2003. "Relation-based versus Rule-based Governance: an Explanation of the East Asian Miracle and Asian Crisis," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(4), pages 651-673, 09.
- McMillan, John & Woodruff, Christopher, 1998.
"Inter-Firm Relationships and Informal Credit in Vietnam,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2036, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 1999. "Interfirm Relationships And Informal Credit In Vietnam," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1285-1320, November.
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 1998. "Interfirm Relationships and Informal Credit in Vietnam," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 132, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Kandori, Michihiro, 1992.
"Social Norms and Community Enforcement,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Takashi Kurosaki & Yasuyuki Sawada & Asit Banerji & S. N. Mishra, 2007.
"Rural-Urban Migration and Urban Poverty: Socio-Economic Profiles of Rickshaw Pullers and Owner-Contractors in North-East Delhi,"
Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
d06-205, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Takashi Kurosaki & Yasuyuki Sawada & Asit Banerji & S.N. Mishra, 2007. "Rural-Urban Migration and Urban Poverty: Socio-Economic Profiles of Rickshaw Pullers and Owner-Contractors in North-East Delhi," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-485, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Avinash Dixit, 2003. "Trade Expansion and Contract Enforcement," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(6), pages 1293-1317, December.
- Basu, Kaushik & Bell, Clive, 1991. "Fragmented duopoly : Theory and applications to backward agriculture," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 145-165, October.
- Avner Greif, 1997. "On the Social Foundations and Historical Development of Institutions that Facilitate Impersonal Exchange: From the Community Responsibility System to Individual Legal Responsibility in Pre-modern Euro," Working Papers 97016, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- William Hallagan, 1978. "Self-Selection by Contractual Choice and the Theory of Sharecropping," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 344-354, Autumn.
- Avinash Dixit, 2009. "Governance Institutions and Economic Activity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(1), pages 5-24, March.
- Greif, Avner, 1993. "Contract Enforceability and Economic Institutions in Early Trade: the Maghribi Traders' Coalition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 525-48, June.
- Allen, Franklin, 1983. "Credit Rationing and Payment Incentives," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 639-46, October.
- Geertz, Clifford, 1978. "The Bazaar Economy: Information and Search in Peasant Marketing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 28-32, May.
- McKenzie, David J. & Mistiaen, Johan, 2007.
"Surveying migrant households : a comparison of census-based, snowball, and intercept point surveys,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4419, The World Bank.
- David J. McKenzie & Johan Mistiaen, 2009. "Surveying migrant households: a comparison of census-based, snowball and intercept point surveys," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 172(2), pages 339-360.
- McKenzie, David & Mistiaen, Johan, 2007. "Surveying Migrant Households: A Comparison of Census-Based, Snowball, and Intercept Point Surveys," IZA Discussion Papers 3173, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Assar Lindbeck & Sten Nyberg & Jšrgen W. Weibull, 1999.
"Social Norms And Economic Incentives In The Welfare State,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 114(1), pages 1-35, February.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Nyberg, Sten & Weibull, Jörgen W., 1997. "Social Norms and Economic Incentives in the Welfare State," Working Paper Series 476, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Christopher Udry, 2003. "Fieldwork, Economic Theory, and Research on Institutions in Developing Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 107-111, May.
- Fafchamps Marcel, 2002.
"Spontaneous Market Emergence,"
The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-37, June.
- Macours, Karen, 2014. "Ethnic divisions, contract choice, and search costs in the Guatemalan land rental market," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-18.
- Mishra, Ajit, 1994. "Clientelization and fragmentation in backward agriculture: Forward induction and entry deterrence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 271-285, December.
- Otsuka, Keijiro & Kikuchi, Masao & Hayami, Yujiro, 1986. "Community and Market in Contract Choice: The Jeepney in the Philippines," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(2), pages 279-98, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37424. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.