Moody’s credit ratings and the stock market performance of Portuguese rated firms
Never has the issue of sovereign credit ratings attracted such an interest by policy and opinion makers, bankers and journalists, or even the public opinion, as witnessed in the last couple of years. In spite of being accused of contributing to the instability of financial markets, credit rating agencies have undoubtedly a role in financial markets, affecting its performance and guiding investor’s decisions. This paper analyzes the impact of the announcement of changes in Moody’s ratings over the performance of a set of rated firms quoted in the Portuguese stock market. Following an event study methodology, we collect ratings and outlook announcements by that major credit agency over the period 2006-2011. We find a significant response of share prices to changes in ratings, with that response anticipating the announcement. We think that could be explained by previous sovereign rating changes or to the contagion effects of a bearish market. When analyzing the period after January 2010, we observe a stronger reaction to announcements, which is understandable given the greater influence and market sensitivity to rating agencies.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- António Afonso & Davide Furceri & Pedro Gomes, 2011.
"Sovereign credit ratings and financial markets linkages: application to European data,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2011/14, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Afonso, António & Furceri, Davide & Gomes, Pedro, 2012. "Sovereign credit ratings and financial markets linkages: Application to European data," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 606-638.
- Afonso, António & Furceri, Davide & Gomes, Pedro, 2011. "Sovereign credit ratings and financial markets linkages: application to European data," Working Paper Series 1347, European Central Bank.
- Rabah Arezki & Bertrand Candelon & Amadou Sy, 2011.
"Sovereign Rating News and Financial Markets Spillovers: Evidence from the European Debt Crisis,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3411, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bertrand Candelon & Amadou N Sy & Rabah Arezki, 2011. "Sovereign Rating News and Financial Markets Spillovers; Evidence from the European Debt Crisis," IMF Working Papers 11/68, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2002. "Sovereign Credit Ratings Before and After Financial Crises," MPRA Paper 7410, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lawrence J. White, 2010. "Markets: The Credit Rating Agencies," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 24(2), pages 211-26, Spring.
- Helmut Reisen & Julia von Maltzan, 1999.
"Boom and Bust and Sovereign Ratings,"
OECD Development Centre Working Papers
148, OECD Publishing.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1980. "Measuring security price performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 205-258, September.
- Gande, Amar & Parsley, David C., 2005.
"News spillovers in the sovereign debt market,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 691-734, March.
- Brooks, Robert & Faff, Robert W. & Hillier, David & Hillier, Joseph, 2004. "The national market impact of sovereign rating changes," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 233-250, January.
- Joo, Sang Lyong & Pruitt, Stephen W., 2006. "Corporate bond ratings changes and economic instability: Evidence from the Korean financial crisis," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 12-20, January.
- Mora, Nada, 2006. "Sovereign credit ratings: Guilty beyond reasonable doubt?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 2041-2062, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:36551. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.