Sovereign credit ratings and financial markets linkages: application to European data
We use EU sovereign bond yield and CDS spreads daily data to carry out an event study analysis on the reaction of government yield spreads before and after announcements from rating agencies (Standard & Poor’s, Moody’s, Fitch). Our results show: significant responses of government bond yield spreads to changes in rating notations and outlook, particularly in the case of negative announcements; announcements are not anticipated at 1-2 months horizon but there is bi-directional causality between ratings and spreads within 1-2 weeks; spillover effects especially from lower rated countries to higher rated countries; and persistence effects for recently downgraded countries. JEL Classification: C23, E44, G15
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helmut Reisen & Julia von Maltzan, 1999.
"Boom and Bust and Sovereign Ratings,"
OECD Development Centre Working Papers
148, OECD Publishing.
- Kraeussl, Roman, 2003.
"Do Credit Rating Agencies Add to the Dynamics of Emerging Market Crises?,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2003/18, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Kraussl, Roman, 2005. "Do credit rating agencies add to the dynamics of emerging market crises?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 355-385, April.
- Roman Kraeussl, . "Do Credit Rating Agencies Add to the Dynamics of Emerging Market Crises," Working Papers 0304, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Afonso, Antonio & Strauch, Rolf, 2007.
"Fiscal policy events and interest rate swap spreads: Evidence from the EU,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 261-276, July.
- Afonso, António & Strauch, Rolf, 2004. "Fiscal policy events and interest rate swap spreads: evidence from the EU," Working Paper Series 0303, European Central Bank.
- Norden, Lars & Weber, Martin, 2004. "Informational Efficiency of Credit Default Swap and Stock Markets: The Impact of Credit Rating Announcements," CEPR Discussion Papers 4250, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- António Afonso & Pedro Gomes & Philipp Rother, 2011. "Short‐ and long‐run determinants of sovereign debt credit ratings," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 1-15, 01.
- Jorion, Philippe & Zhang, Gaiyan, 2007. "Good and bad credit contagion: Evidence from credit default swaps," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 860-883, June.
- António Afonso & Pedro Gomes, 2010.
"Do fiscal imbalances deteriorate sovereign debt ratings?,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2010/24, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- António Afonso & Pedro Gomes, 2011. "Do Fiscal Imbalances Deteriorate Sovereign Debt Ratings ?," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 62(6), pages 1123-1134.
- Francis A. Longstaff & Jun Pan & Lasse H. Pedersen & Kenneth J. Singleton, 2011.
"How Sovereign Is Sovereign Credit Risk?,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 75-103, April.
- Romain Rancière, 2002. "Credit derivatives in emerging markets," Economics Working Papers 856, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Hull, John & Predescu, Mirela & White, Alan, 2004. "The relationship between credit default swap spreads, bond yields, and credit rating announcements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2789-2811, November.
- Gande, Amar & Parsley, David C., 2005.
"News spillovers in the sovereign debt market,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 691-734, March.
- Ismailescu, Iuliana & Kazemi, Hossein, 2010. "The reaction of emerging market credit default swap spreads to sovereign credit rating changes," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2861-2873, December.
- Bowman, David & Minehart, Deborah & Rabin, Matthew, 1999.
"Loss aversion in a consumption-savings model,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 155-178, February.
- Norden, Lars & Weber, Martin, 2004. "Informational efficiency of credit default swap and stock markets: The impact of credit rating announcements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2813-2843, November.
- Haibin Zhu, 2006. "An Empirical Comparison of Credit Spreads between the Bond Market and the Credit Default Swap Market," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 211-235, June.
- Antonio Afonso & Pedro Gomes & Philipp Rother, 2009.
"Ordered response models for sovereign debt ratings,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(8), pages 769-773.
- António Afonso & Pedro Gomes & Philipp Rother, 2006. "Ordered Response Models for Sovereign Debt Ratings," Working Papers Department of Economics 2006/34, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- António Afonso & Christophe Rault, 2010.
"Long-run Determinants of Sovereign Yields,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3155, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hill, Paula & Brooks, Robert & Faff, Robert, 2010. "Variations in sovereign credit quality assessments across rating agencies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1327-1343, June.
- Bissoondoyal-Bheenick, Emawtee, 2005. "An analysis of the determinants of sovereign ratings," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 251-280, February.
- Carmen M. Reinhart, 2010. "This Time is Different Chartbook: Country Histories on Debt, Default, and Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 15815, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- António Afonso, 2002. "Understanding the Determinants of Government Debt Ratings: Evidence for the Two Leading Agencies," Working Papers Department of Economics 2002/02, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Rabah Arezki & Bertrand Candelon & Amadou Sy, 2011.
"Sovereign Rating News and Financial Markets Spillovers: Evidence from the European Debt Crisis,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3411, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bertrand Candelon & Amadou N. R. Sy & Rabah Arezki, 2011. "Sovereign Rating News and Financial Markets Spillovers; Evidence From the European Debt Crisis," IMF Working Papers 11/68, International Monetary Fund.
- Al-Sakka, Rasha & ap Gwilym, Owain, 2009. "Heterogeneity of sovereign rating migrations in emerging countries," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-165, June.
- Antonio Afonso, 2003. "Understanding the determinants of sovereign debt ratings: Evidence for the two leading agencies," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 56-74, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20111347. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.