Eyes on Romania: what to look when investing here?
In this paper we identify a framework of the main macroeconomic indicators an investor must look when investing in a country, depending on his activity business sector. Using a qualitative method of research on the Romanian case in period of 2000-2010, we establish that a series of leading indicators, as Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth rate, inflation rate and industrial production, are appropriate to get a brief snapshot of the economic outlook of a country. The following period, since 2011 to 2014, confirm our results. Beside the traditional indicators, we set as significant the degree of business cycles synchronization with the European Union (EU) in order to predict the next path of the Romanian economy. We use a structural divergence index for assessing the similarity of economic structure between Romania and EU. The results of this study confirm that Romania lags behind EU, offering the possibility to decide the next step of an investor’s business strategy.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W.Jos Jansen & Ad C.J.Stokman, 2003.
"Foreign Direct Investment and International Business Cycle Comovement,"
MEB Series (discontinued)
2003-10, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- W. Jos Jansen & Ad C.J. Stokman, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment and International Business Cycle Comovement," Macroeconomics 0402029, EconWPA.
- Jansen, W. Jos & Stokman, Ad C.J., 2004. "Foreign direct investment and international business cycle comovement," Working Paper Series 0401, European Central Bank.
- Clark, Todd E. & van Wincoop, Eric, 2001.
"Borders and business cycles,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 59-85, October.
- Ozturk, Ilhan & Kalyoncu, Huseyin, 2007.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Growth: An Empirical Investigation based on Cross-Country Comparison,"
Economia Internazionale / International Economics,
Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 60(1), pages 75-81.
- Ozturk, Ilhan & Kalyoncu, Huseyin, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Growth: An Empiricial Investigation Based on Cross-Country Comparison," MPRA Paper 9636, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- António Afonso & Davide Furceri, 2009.
"Sectoral Business Cycle Synchronization in the European Union,"
AccessEcon, vol. 29(4), pages 2996-3014.
- António Afonso & Davide Furceri, 2007. "Sectoral Business Cycle Synchronization in the European Union," Working Papers Department of Economics 2007/02, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Jean Imbs, 2004.
"Trade, Finance, Specialization and Synchronization,"
- Jean Imbs, 2004. "Trade, Finance, Specialization, and Synchronization," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 723-734, August.
- Jean Imbs, 2003. "Trade, Finance, Specialization, and Synchronization," IMF Working Papers 03/81, International Monetary Fund.
- Imbs, Jean, 2003. "Trade, Finance, Specialization and Synchronization," CEPR Discussion Papers 3779, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Laura CASI & Laura RESMINI, 2010. "Evidence on the determinants of foreign direct investment: the case of EU regions," Eastern Journal of European Studies, Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, vol. 1, pages 93-118, December.
- Furceri, Davide & Karras, Georgios, 2006. "Are the new EU members ready for the EURO?: A comparison of costs and benefits," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 25-38, January.
- Miao Wang & M. C. Sunny Wong, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment Outflows and Business-cycle Fluctuations," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 146-163, 02.
- Helge Berger & Jakob de Haan & Robert Inklaar, 2003. "Restructuring the ECB," CESifo Working Paper Series 1084, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dumitru, Ionut, 2009.
"Adoptarea euro in Romania
[Euro adoption in Romania]," MPRA Paper 18612, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:36140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.