Revisiting the effect of country size on taxation in developing countries
In developed and developing countries, taxation makes up a significant part of government‟s current total revenue. Tax efficiency is important in order to maximize revenue that can be used in the redistribution of wealth and public expenditure. Larger economies, however, experience difficulties in remaining efficient. This study, therefore, seeks to investigate the effect country size has on tax revenues for developing countries and to discuss whether the findings of Codrington (1989) in the 1980s still hold in the twenty-first century. Analytical and empirical methodologies were conducted using a total of thirty-four countries. Conflicting results were found. Analytically, size played a discriminating role with respect to utilization of the tax systems as 72.6 percent were employed by maxi-states while 59.7 percent were adopted by small economies. Micro economies were heavily reliant on international trade and transaction taxes. Empirically, population positively influenced tax-to-GDP ratios while openness was statistically insignificant.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco I.P. & van Ypersele, Tanguy, 2005. "Market size and tax competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 25-46, September.
- Syrquin, M. & Chenery, H.B., 1989. "Patterns Of Development, 1950 To 1983," World Bank - Discussion Papers 41, World Bank.
- Haufler, Andreas & Wooton, Ian, 1999.
"Country size and tax competition for foreign direct investment,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 121-139, January.
- Andreas Haufler & Ian Wooton, . "Country Size and Tax Competition for Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers 9702, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Haufler, Andreas & Wooton, Ian, 1999. "Country size and tax competition for foreign direct investment," Munich Reprints in Economics 20408, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Srinivasan, T N, 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Being a Small, Remote, Island, Landlocked, or Ministate Economy," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 1(2), pages 205-18, July.
- Bucovetsky, S., 1991. "Asymmetric tax competition," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 167-181, September.
- Bovenberg, A.L., 1987. "Indirect taxation in developing countries : A general equilibrium approach," Other publications TiSEM adac046e-0845-4c4e-904a-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Liou, F. M. & Ding, C. G., 2002. "Subgrouping Small States Based on Socioeconomic Characteristics," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1289-1306, July.
- Vito Tanzi & Parthasarathi Shome, 1993. "A Primeron Tax Evasion," IMF Working Papers 93/21, International Monetary Fund.
- Tom Crowards, 2002. "Defining the category of 'small' states," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(2), pages 143-179.
- Imam Patrick Amir & Jacobs Davina, 2014.
"Effect of Corruption on Tax Revenues in the Middle East,"
Review of Middle East Economics and Finance,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 24, April.
- Patrick A. Imam & Davina F. Jacobs, 2007. "Effect of Corruption on Tax Revenues in the Middle East," IMF Working Papers 07/270, International Monetary Fund.
- A. Lans Bovenberg, 1987.
"Indirect Taxation in Developing Countries: A General Equilibrium Approach,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(2), pages 333-373, June.
- Ary Lars Bovenberg, 1986. "Indirect Taxation in Developing Countries; A General Equilibrium Approach," IMF Working Papers 86/1, International Monetary Fund.
- JÃ¸rgen R. Lotz & Elliott R. Morss, 1967. "Measuring "Tax Effort" in Developing Countries (Evaluation de l'effort fiscal dans les pays en voie de dÃ©veloppement) (MediciÃ³n del "esfuerzo tributario" de los paÃses en desarr," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 14(3), pages 478-499, November.
- Wilson, John Douglas, 1991.
"Tax competition with interregional differences in factor endowments,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 423-451, November.
- Wilson, J.D., 1990. "Tax Competition With Interregional Differences In Factor Endowments," Working Papers 4, John Deutsch Institute for the Study of Economic Policy.
- A. B. Atkinson, 1981. "On the switch to indirect taxation," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 2(2), pages 1-8, July.
- Vito Tanzi, 1989. "The Impact of Macroeconomic Policies on the Level of Taxation and the Fiscal Balance in Developing Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(3), pages 633-656, September.
- Vito Tanzi & Parthasarathi Shome, 1993. "A Primer on Tax Evasion," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(4), pages 807-828, December.
- Raja J. Chelliah & Hessel J. Baas & Margaret R. Kelly, 1975. "Tax Ratios and Tax Effort in Developing Countries, 1969-71 (Pression fiscale et effort fiscal dans les pays en dÃ©veloppement, 1969-71) (Coeficientes y esfuerzo tributarios en los paÃses en desarroll," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(1), pages 187-205, March.
- Briguglio, Lino, 1995. "Small island developing states and their economic vulnerabilities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1615-1632, September.
- Read, Robert, 2001. "Growth, Economic Development and Structural Transition in Small Vulnerable States," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Trandel, Gregory A., 1994. "Interstate commodity tax differentials and the distribution of residents," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 435-457, March.
- Balassa, Bela, 1969. "Country Size and Trade Patterns: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 201-04, March.
- Selwyn, Percy, 1980. "Smallness and islandness," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 8(12), pages 945-951, December.
- Alan A. Tait & Wilfrid L. M. GrÃ¤tz & Barry J. Eichengreen, 1979. "International Comparisons of Taxation for Selected Developing Countries, 1972-76 (Comparaisons entre les systÃ¨mes fiscaux de certains pays en dÃ©veloppement, 1972-76) (Comparaciones internacionales d," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(1), pages 123-156, March.
- Amiti, Mary, 1998. "Inter-industry trade in manufactures: Does country size matter?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 231-255, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:33470. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.