Trade Collapse, Trade Relapse and Global Production Networks: Supply Chains in the Great Recession (revised)
Global supply chains reshaped international trade since the 1980s. Their role in explaining the trade collapse that followed the financial crisis of September 2008 was significant. Because manufacture production is internationally fragmented, adverse external shocks affect firms not only through final demand, but also through the disruption on the flow of inputs received from their suppliers. The future of supply chains depends of alternative exit scenarios from the Great Recession; as a result of global rebalancing, they will probably be smaller and more regional. Left unchecked, these centripetal forces may lead to a deterioration of global governance and to rampant deglobalization. On the other hand, because trade in goods for processing inflated artificially some bilateral trade imbalances, correcting them will prove easier in the short term, while the technical factors that made possible the internationalization of production will keep promoting further "flattening of the Earth" in the longer term. The reshaping of global effective demand is of particular importance for the labour abundant Least Developed Countries that were relying on global supply chains to attract productive investments.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kristian Behrens & Gregory Corcos & Giordano Mion, 2011.
"Trade Crisis ? What Trade Crisis ?,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Kristian Behrens & Gregory Corcos & Giordano Mion, 2010. "Trade crisis ? What trade crisis ?," Working Paper Research 195, National Bank of Belgium.
- Kristian Behrens & Gregory Corcos & Giordano Mion, 2013. "Trade crisis?: what trade crisis?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 42664, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Giordano Mion, 2011. "Trade crisis - what trade crisis?," CentrePiece - The Magazine for Economic Performance 336, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Kristian Behrens & Giordano Mion, 2010. "Trade crisis? What trade crisis?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 48910, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Kristian Behrens & Gregory Corcos & Giordano Mion, 2010. "Trade Crisis? What Trade Crisis?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0995, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Behrens, Kristian & Corcos, Gregory & Mion, Giordano, 2010. "Trade Crisis? What Trade Crisis?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7956, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Escaith, Hubert, 2008. "Measuring trade in value added in the new industrial economy: statistical implications," MPRA Paper 14454, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anna Maria C. Menichini, 2011.
"Inter‐Firm Trade Finance in Times of Crisis,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(10), pages 1788-1808, October.
- Bricongne, Jean-Charles & Fontagné, Lionel & Gaulier, Guillaume & Taglioni, Daria & Vicard, Vincent, 2010.
"Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil,"
Working Paper Series
1245, European Central Bank.
- Bricongne, Jean-Charles & Fontagné, Lionel & Gaulier, Guillaume & Taglioni, Daria & Vicard, Vincent, 2012. "Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 134-146.
- Jean-Charles Bricongne & Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Vincent Vicard & Daria Taglioni, 2012. "Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" hal-00639897, HAL.
- Bricongne, J-C. & Fontagné, L. & Gaulier, G. & Taglioni, D. & Vicard, V., 2009. "Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil," Working papers 265, Banque de France.
- Escaith, Hubert, 2007. "Old and new dualisms in Latin America and Asia: labour productivity, international competitiveness and income distribution," MPRA Paper 14510, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2008.
- Sébastien Miroudot & Alexandros Ragoussis, 2009. "Vertical Trade, Trade Costs and FDI," OECD Trade Policy Papers 89, OECD Publishing.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Yvan Decreux & Lionel Fontagné & David Khoudour-Castéras, 2009. "Economic Crisis and Global Supply Chains," Working Papers 2009-15, CEPII research center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:31864. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.