A cross-national analysis of the relations between school choice and effectiveness differences between private-dependent and public schools
We apply propensity score matching to the estimation of differential school effectiveness between the publicly funded private sector and the public one, in a sample of 26 countries. This technique allows us to distinguish between school choice and school effectiveness processes and thus, to account for selectivity issues involved in the comparison of the two. Concerning school choice, we found two patterns: a choice of the upwardly mobile parents for private schools and a preference for segregation by (lower-) middle class parents. As regards school effectiveness, our results indicate that, after controlling for selectivity, a substantial advantage in reading achievement remains among students in publicly funded private schools in ten out of the 26 countries.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2009|
|Publication status:||Published in Educational Research and Evaluation 2.16(2010): pp. 151-176|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neal, Derek, 1997. "The Effects of Catholic Secondary Schooling on Educational Achievement," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 98-123, January.
- Dronkers, J. & Robert, Peter, 2005. "School choice in the light of the effectiveness differences of various types of public and private school in 19 OECD countries," MPRA Paper 21888, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vandenberghe, V. & Robin, S., 2004. "Evaluating the effectiveness of private education across countries: a comparison of methods," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 487-506, August.
- Dronkers, Jaap & Avram, S, 2010.
"A Cross-national analysis of the relations between school choice and effectiveness differences between private-independent and public schools,"
23886, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dronkers, Jaap & Avram, S, 2009. "A cross-national analysis of the relations between school choice and effectiveness differences between private-dependent and public schools," MPRA Paper 23911, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Corten, Rense & Dronkers, J., 2005. "School Achievement of Pupils From the Lower Strata in Public, Private Government-Dependent and Private Government-Independent Schools: A cross-national test of the Coleman-Hoffer thesis," MPRA Paper 21885, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:23911. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.