The effects of the social norm on cigarette consumption: evidence from Japan using panel data
Using Japan’s prefecture-level panel data from 1989-2001, this paper examines the influence of the social norm on a person’s smoking behavior when the complementary relationship between smoking and drinking is taken into account. The key findings through a dynamic panel model controlling for unobserved prefecture-specific fixed effects are as follows: (1) Influence from others is stronger when people live more closely and cohesively. A tightly knit society results in a reduction of smoking through smoking-related interaction. (2) Smoking and drinking have a complementary relationship: greater initial consumption of alcohol results in larger consumption of cigarettes. (3) The complementary relationship between smoking and dinking is attenuated if the cost of committing the annoying conduct (i.e., smoking) is high. Overall, this empirical study provides evidence that the psychological effect of the presence of surrounding people has a direct significant effect upon smoking behavior and, furthermore, that it attenuates the complementary relationship between smoking and drinking, thereby reducing cigarette consumption. These results indicate that not only formal rules but also tacitly formed informal norms are effective deterrents to smoking.
|Date of creation:||20 Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yamamura Eiji, 2008. "The Market for Lawyers and Social Capital: Are Informal Rules a Substitute for Formal Ones?," Review of Law & Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 499-517, December.
- Richard Posner & Eric Rasmusen, 1999.
"Creating and Enforcing Norms, With Special Reference to Sanctions,"
Law and Economics
- Posner, R.A. & Rasmusen, E., 1998. "Creating and Enforcing Norms, with Special Reference to Sanctions," Papers 98-005, Indiana - Center for Econometric Model Research.
- Patricia Funk, 2005. "Governmental Action, Social Norms, and Criminal Behavior," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 161(3), pages 522-, September.
- yamamura, eiji, 2008.
"Effects of social norms and fractionalization on voting behavior in Japan,"
10163, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eiji Yamamura, 2011. "Effects of social norms and fractionalization on voting behaviour in Japan," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(11), pages 1385-1398.
- Songjune Kim & Barry J. Seldon, 2004. "The Demand for Cigarettes in the Republic of Korea and Implications for Government Policy to Lower Cigarette Consumption," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(2), pages 299-308, 04.
- Jonathan Gruber & Anindya Sen & Mark Stabile, 2002.
"Estimating Price Elasticities When there is Smuggling: The Sensitivity of Smoking to Price in Canada,"
NBER Working Papers
8962, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gruber, Jonathan & Sen, Anindya & Stabile, Mark, 2003. "Estimating price elasticities when there is smuggling: the sensitivity of smoking to price in Canada," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 821-842, September.
- Frank J. Chaloupka, 1990.
"Rational Addictive Behavior and Cigarette Smoking,"
NBER Working Papers
3268, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2008. "Impact of formal and informal deterrents on driving behavior," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2505-2512, December.
- Bai Yuanliang & Zhang Zongyi, 2005. "Aggregate cigarette demand and regional differences in China," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(21), pages 2523-2528.
- William N. Evans & Matthew C. Farrelly & Edward Montgomery, 1996.
"Do Workplace Smoking Bans Reduce Smoking?,"
NBER Working Papers
5567, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Arcidiacono & Holger Sieg & Frank Sloan, .
"Living Rationally Under the Volcano? An Empirical Analysis of Heavy Drinking and Smoking,"
GSIA Working Papers
2003-02, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Peter Arcidiacono & Holger Sieg & Frank Sloan, 2007. "Living Rationally Under The Volcano? An Empirical Analysis Of Heavy Drinking And Smoking," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(1), pages 37-65, 02.
- Arcidiacono, Peter & Sieg, Holger & Sloan, Frank, 2002. "Living Rationally Under the Volcano? An Empirical Analysis of Heavy Drinking and Smoking," Working Papers 02-30, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Peter Arcidiacono & Holger Sieg & Frank Sloan, 2001. "Living Rationally Under the Volcano? An Empirical Analysis of Heavy Drinking and Smoking," NBER Working Papers 8602, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steffen Huck & Michael Kosfeld, 2007.
"The Dynamics of Neighbourhood Watch and Norm Enforcement,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(516), pages 270-286, 01.
- Steffen Huck & Michael Kosfeld, . "The Dynamics of Neighbourhood Watch and Norm Enforcement," IEW - Working Papers 199, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Powell, Lisa M. & Tauras, John A. & Ross, Hana, 2005. "The importance of peer effects, cigarette prices and tobacco control policies for youth smoking behavior," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 950-968, September.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:111:y:1996:i:2:p:507-48 is not listed on IDEAS
- Greif, Avner, 1993. "Contract Enforceability and Economic Institutions in Early Trade: the Maghribi Traders' Coalition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 525-48, June.
- repec:oup:restud:v:68:y:2001:i:2:p:235-60 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:oup:restud:v:58:y:1991:i:2:p:277-97 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alejandro Gaviria & Steven Raphael, 2001. "School-Based Peer Effects And Juvenile Behavior," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 257-268, May.
- Evans, William N & Oates, Wallace E & Schwab, Robert M, 1992. "Measuring Peer Group Effects: A Study of Teenage Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 966-91, October.
- repec:oup:restud:v:60:y:1993:i:3:p:531-42 is not listed on IDEAS
- Greif, Avner, 1994. "Cultural Beliefs and the Organization of Society: A Historical and Theoretical Reflection on Collectivist and Individualist Societies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(5), pages 912-50, October.
- Posner, Richard A. & Rasmusen, Eric B., 1999. "Creating and enforcing norms, with special reference to sanctions1," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 369-382, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:20188. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.