Mapping the Tariff Waters
Tariff water –the difference between bound and applied duties– provides relevant information on domestic trade policy and WTO trade negotiations. This paper examines the general and sectoral tariff structure of 120 economies, using exploratory data analysis. The analysis identifies the countries having similar overall structures across sectors, then analyses the specific patterns for each particular product sector. Finally, the degree of influence of countries' regional and socio-economic characteristics on their tariff structure is evaluated. A first element of conclusion is that tariff policies seem to protect more the labour intensive sectors, with some variations in the case of agriculture, rather than pursuing traditional protectionist industrial policies through "effective protection". A second element of conclusion is that the distinction between developing and developed countries is broadly relevant to characterize tariff policies, but not overly determinant.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/6498 is not listed on IDEAS
- Valeria Costantini & Riccardo Crescenzi & Fabrizio De Filippis & Luca Salvatici, 2007. "Bargaining Coalitions in the WTO Agricultural Negotiations," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(5), pages 863-891, May.
- Gibson, Paul R. & Wainio, John & Whitley, Daniel B. & Bohman, Mary, 2001. "Profiles Of Tariffs In Global Agricultural Markets," Agricultural Economics Reports 34055, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Joseph Francois & Will Martin & Vlad Manole, 2005.
"Choosing formulas for market access negotiations: efficiency and market access considerations,"
Chapters,in: Trade Policy Reforms and Development, chapter 5
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Manole, Vlad & Martin, Will & Francois, Joseph, 2005. "Choosing formulas for market access negotiation : efficiency and market access considerations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3474, The World Bank.
- Francois, Joseph & van Meijl, Hans & van Tongeren, Frank, 2003.
"Trade Liberalization and Developing Countries Under the Doha Round,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4032, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. Francois & H. van Meijl & F. van Tongeren, 2003. "Trade Liberalization and Developing Countries under the Doha Round," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-060/2, Tinbergen Institute, revised 30 Aug 2003.
- Francois, Joseph F. & Martin, Will, 2004.
"Commercial policy variability, bindings, and market access,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 665-679, June.
- Joseph Francois & Will Martin, 2002. "Commercial Policy Variability, Bindings, and Market Access," International Trade 0210002, EconWPA.
- Francois, Joseph & Martin, Will, 2002. "Commercial Policy Variability, Bindings and Market Access," CEPR Discussion Papers 3294, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yvan Decreux & Lionel Fontagné, 2011. "Economic Impact of Potential Outcome of the DDA," Working Papers 2011-23, CEPII research center.
- Lionel Fontagné & Jean-Louis Guérin & Sébastien Jean, 2005.
"Market Access Liberalisation in the Doha Round: Scenarios and Assessment,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(8), pages 1073-1094, August.
- Lionel Fontagné & Jean-Louis Guérin & Sébastien Jean, 2003. "Market Access Liberalisation in the Doha Round: Scenarios and Assessment," Working Papers 2003-12, CEPII research center.
- Lionel Fontagné & Jean-Louis Guérin & Sébastien Jean, 2005. "Market Access Liberalisation in the Doha Round: Scenarios and Assessment," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00270514, HAL.
- Mohamed Hedi Bchir & Sébastien Jean & David Laborde, 2006.
"Binding Overhang and Tariff-Cutting Formulas,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 142(2), pages 207-232, July.
- Mohamed Hedi Bchir & Sébastien Jean & David Laborde, 2005. "Binding Overhang and Tariff-Cutting Formulas," Working Papers 2005-18, CEPII research center.
- Bchir, Mohamed Hedi & Jean, Sebastien & Laborde, David, 2005. "Binding Overhang and Tariff-Cutting Formulas," Working Papers 18873, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:18960. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.