Reassessing effective protection rates in a trade in tasks perspective: Evolution of trade policy in "Factory Asia"
International trade moved from "trade in goods" to "trade in tasks" and effective protection rates (EPRs) are back to the analytical stage. They measure the overall protection that sectoral value-added is receiving from applied tariffs. The paper calculates sectorial EPRs for 10 Asian-Pacific countries between 1995 and 2005 and proposes simple methods aimed at isolating the specific contribution of changes in tariff policies, in production structure or in real exchange rates. International input-output matrices allowed also to compute and compare the average propagation length of a shock linked to a sudden change in tariff duties, identifying sectors most deeply interconnected.
|Date of creation:||11 Sep 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Broda, Christian & Limão, Nuno & Weinstein, David E., 2006.
"Optimal Tariffs: The Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5540, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christian Broda & N. Limao & D. Weinstein, 2006. "Optimal Tariffs: The Evidence," 2006 Meeting Papers 381, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Christian Broda & Nuno Limão & David Weinstein, 2006. "Optimal Tariffs: The Evidence," NBER Working Papers 12033, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maria Cipollina & Luca Salvatici, 2008. "Measuring Protection: Mission Impossible?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 577-616, 07.
- Salvatici, Luca & Cipollina, Maria, 2006. "Measuring Protection: Mission Impossible?," Working Papers 18876, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Diakantoni, Antonia & Escaith, Hubert, 2009. "Mapping the tariff waters," WTO Staff Working Papers ERSD-2009-13, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Diakantoni, Antonia & Escaith, Hubert, 2009. "Mapping the Tariff Waters," MPRA Paper 18960, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Escaith, Hubert & Gonguet, Fabien, 2011. "International Supply Chains as Real Transmission Channels of Financial Shocks," Journal of Financial Transformation, Capco Institute, vol. 31, pages 83-97.
- Erik Dietzenbacher & Isidoro Romero, 2007. "Production Chains in an Interregional Framework: Identification by Means of Average Propagation Lengths," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 30(4), pages 362-383, October.
- Robert Stehrer, 2012. "Trade in Value Added and the Valued Added in Trade," wiiw Working Papers 81, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)