Reassessing effective protection rates in a trade in tasks perspective: Evolution of trade policy in "Factory Asia"
International trade moved from "trade in goods" to "trade in tasks" and effective protection rates (EPRs) are back to the analytical stage. They measure the overall protection that sectoral value-added is receiving from applied tariffs. The paper calculates sectorial EPRs for 10 Asian-Pacific countries between 1995 and 2005 and proposes simple methods aimed at isolating the specific contribution of changes in tariff policies, in production structure or in real exchange rates. International input-output matrices allowed also to compute and compare the average propagation length of a shock linked to a sudden change in tariff duties, identifying sectors most deeply interconnected.
|Date of creation:||11 Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Broda, Christian & Limão, Nuno & Weinstein, David E., 2006.
"Optimal Tariffs: The Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5540, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Escaith, Hubert & Gonguet, Fabien, 2011. "International Supply Chains as Real Transmission Channels of Financial Shocks," Journal of Financial Transformation, Capco Institute, vol. 31, pages 83-97.
- Maria Cipollina & Luca Salvatici, 2008.
"Measuring Protection: Mission Impossible?,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 577-616, 07.
- Diakantoni, Antonia & Escaith, Hubert, 2009.
"Mapping the tariff waters,"
WTO Staff Working Papers
ERSD-2009-13, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Erik Dietzenbacher & Isidoro Romero, 2007. "Production Chains in an Interregional Framework: Identification by Means of Average Propagation Lengths," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 30(4), pages 362-383, October.
- Robert Stehrer, 2012. "Trade in Value Added and the Valued Added in Trade," wiiw Working Papers 81, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41723. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.