Factor Proportions Wages in a Structural Vector Autoregression
Factor proportions trade theory focuses on wage adjustments to product prices and factor endowments estimated directly for the first time in the present paper with a structural vector auto regression. Yearly data cover the US wage, labor force, fixed capital assets, and relative prices of services and manufactures from 1949 to 2006. This model with only capital and labor inputs is inconsistent with the evidence leading to the addition of energy input. Energy has a stronger wage impact than capital, labor is revealed as the middle factor in the intensity ranking, and results suggest a high degree of substitution.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997. "Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Rassekh, Farhad & Thompson, Henry, 1997. "Adjustment in General Equilibrium: Some Industrial Evidence," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 20-31, February.
- Leamer, E. & Levingsohn, J., 1994.
"International Trade Theory: The Evidence,"
368, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1996.
"Cointegration and speed of convergence to equilibrium,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 117-143.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Shin, Y., 1993. "Cointegration and Speed of Convergence to Equilibrium," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9311, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521266550 is not listed on IDEAS
- Donald R. Davis & Prachi Mishra, 2007. "Stolper-Samuelson Is Dead: And Other Crimes of Both Theory and Data," NBER Chapters, in: Globalization and Poverty, pages 87-108 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henry Thompson, 1985. "Complementarity in a Simple General Equilibrium Production Model," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(3), pages 616-21, August.
- Ann Harrison, 2007.
"Globalization and Poverty,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number harr06-1, May.
- Hans J. Gremmen, 1985. "Testing The Factor Price Equalization Theorem in the EC: An Alternative Approach," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 277-286, 03.
- Bhattacharyya, Subhes C., 1996. "Applied general equilibrium models for energy studies: a survey," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 145-164, July.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Hyeongwoo, Kim, 2009. "Generalized Impulse Response Analysis: General or Extreme?," MPRA Paper 17014, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chang, Winston W, 1979. "Some Theorems of Trade and General Equilibrium with Many Goods and Factors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(3), pages 709-26, May.
- Thomas W. Hertel, 1999.
"Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Agricultural and Resource Policies,"
GTAP Working Papers
297, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Hertel, Thomas W., 2002. "Applied general equilibrium analysis of agricultural and resource policies," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 26, pages 1373-1419 Elsevier.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997.
"Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001. "LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Alfred Tovias, 1982. "Testing Factor Price Equalization in the EEC," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(4), pages 375-388, 06.
- Hyeongwoo Kim, 2012. "Generalized Impulse Response Analysis: General or Extreme?," Auburn Economics Working Paper Series auwp2012-04, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
- Henry Thompson, 2010. "Wages in a factor proportions time series model of the US," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 241-256.
- Leamer, Edward E, 1996. "Wage Inequality from International Competition and Technological Change: Theory and Country Experience," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 309-14, May.
- Ronald W. Jones, 1965. "The Structure of Simple General Equilibrium Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 557.
- Harris, R. I. D., 1992. "Testing for unit roots using the augmented Dickey-Fuller test : Some issues relating to the size, power and the lag structure of the test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 381-386, April.
- Ruffin, Roy J., 1981. "Trade and factor movements with three factors and two goods," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 177-182.
- Mokhtari, Manouchehr & Rassekh, Farhad, 1989. "The Tendency towards Factor Price Equalization among OECD Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 636-42, November.
- Copeland, Cassandra & Thompson, Henry, 2008. "Lost protection and wages: Some time series evidence for the US," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 603-606, October.
- Hall, Alastair R, 1994. "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series with Pretest Data-Based Model Selection," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(4), pages 461-70, October.
- Jon Ford & Henry Thompson, 1997. "Global Sensitivity of Neoclassical and Factor Proportions Models to Production Technology," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 61-74.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17798. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.