Signaling the Strength of a Market Entrant
This article belongs to the game theoretic and information economics literature dealing with the problem of signaling in the context of game theoretical models of entry into the industry. As opposed to the majority of literature we consider the situation of asymmetric information where the private information belongs to the entrant. We model the capacity decision of the entrant as a signal of his strength. We show that in the Stackelberg model of market entry for some values of underlying parameters the entrant fully utilizes his capacity while for other parameter values he builds excess capacity. The model may be empirically relevant for industrial organization analysis of the entry of a new supplier to the existing supply chain.
|Date of creation:||29 Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kala Krishna & Ling Hui Tan, 1992. "License Price Paths: I. Theory II. Evidence from Hong Kong," NBER Working Papers 4237, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Saloner, Garth, 1985. "Excess capacity as a policing device," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 83-86.
- Philip L. Paarlberg & John G. Lee, 2001. "U.S. Trade Policy on Lamb Meat: Who Gets Fleeced?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 196-208.
- Allen, B. & Deneckere, R. & Faith, T. & Kovenock, D., 1994.
"Capacity Precommitment as a Barrier to Entry: A Bertrand- Engeworth Approach,"
9483, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Dan Kovenock & Raymond Deneckere & Tom Faith & Beth Allen, 2000. "Capacity precommitment as a barrier to entry: A Bertrand-Edgeworth approach," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 501-530.
- Beth Allen & Raymond Deneckere & Tom Faith & Dan Kovenock, 1994. "Capacity Precommitment as a Barrier to Entry:A Bertrand-Edgeworth Approach," Industrial Organization 9411002, EconWPA, revised 14 Nov 1994.
- Beth Allen & Raymond Deneckere & Tom Faith & Dan Kovenock, 1995. "Capacity precommitment as a barrier to entry: a Bertrand-Edgeworth approach," Staff Report 187, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Allen, B. & Deneckere, R. & Faith, T. & Kovenock, D., 1994. "Capacity Precommitment as a Barrier to Entry: A Bertrand-Edgeworth Approach," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 1062, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Steve McCorriston, 1996. "Import Quota Licenses and Market Power," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 367-372.
- Kresimir Zigic, 2005. "Theory of Strategic Trade Policy in North–South Trade: Optimal Northern and Southern Tariffs in an Inherently Asymmetric Environment," CERGE-EI Books, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague, edition 1, number b04.
- de Melo, Jaime & Faini, Riccardo, 1992.
"A Primer on the MFA Maze,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
716, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Faini, R. & Melo, J. de & Takacs, W., 1992. "A Primer on the MFA Maze," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva 92.15, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Faini, Riccardo & de Melo, Jaime & Takacs, Wendy, 1993. "A primer on the MFA maze," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1088, The World Bank.
- Cave, Jonathan & Salant, Stephen W, 1995.
"Cartel Quotas under Majority Rule,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 82-102, March.
- Krishna, Kala & Tan, Ling Hui, 1999. "Transferable Licenses versus Nontransferable Licenses: What Is the Difference?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(3), pages 785-800, August.
- Michele M. Veeman, 1997. "Marketing Boards: The Canadian Experience Revisited," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 45(4), pages 411-420, December.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1982.
"Limit Pricing and Entry under Incomplete Information: An Equilibrium Analysis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(2), pages 443-59, March.
- Paul Milgrom & John Roberts, 1998. "Limit Pricing and Entry Under Incomplete Information: An Equilibrium Analysis," Levine's Working Paper Archive 245, David K. Levine.
- Spence, A Michael, 1973. "Job Market Signaling," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 87(3), pages 355-74, August.
- Michele M. Veeman, 1997. "Marketing Boards: The Canadian Experience Revisited," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1554-1562.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.