Macroeconomic Fundamentals of Poverty and Deprivation: an empirical study for developed countries
This study aims at providing a positive contribution to the literature on the macroeconomic determinants of poverty which is particularly relevant since this type of analysis is rather scarce (e.g., Agénor, 2005). After a brief review on the macroeconomic mechanisms of poverty and deprivation, we propose a composite poverty index that captures seven deprivation dimensions which, relying on the literature and data availability, are important to a comparative assessment of deprivation across developed countries. The sample includes 24 countries of the European Union, from 2005 to 2010. Moreover, relying on the macroeconomic transmission mechanisms that influence poverty, a panel data econometric approach is implemented in order to study the relation between the proposed composite index and macroeconomic variables. The analysis is also extended for the AROPE, the European headline indicator for poverty targeting. Results show that a multidimensional poverty concept is relevant for assessing deprivation in developed countries and that, in line with the relevant literature, the dynamics of some macroeconomic variables is crucial to deprivation performances. The latter result is robust as it holds for different measures of poverty.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua Dr. Roberto Frias, 4200 PORTO|
Web page: http://www.fep.up.pt/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gundlach, Erich & Paldam, Martin, 2009.
"The transition of corruption: From poverty to honesty,"
Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 146-148, June.
- Erich Gundlach & Martin Paldam, 2008. "The Transition of Corruption: From Poverty to Honesty," Kiel Working Papers 1411, .
- Gundlach, Erich & Paldam, Martin, 2008. "The transition of corruption: From poverty to honesty," Kiel Working Papers 1411, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Aidt, Toke & Dutta, Jayasri & Sena, Vania, 2008.
"Governance regimes, corruption and growth: Theory and evidence,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 195-220, June.
- Toke Aidt & Jayasri Dutta & Vania Sena, 2006. "Governance Regimes, Corruption and Growth: Theory and Evidence," Discussion Papers 15_2006, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Anne Epaulard, 2003. "Macroeconomic Performance and Poverty Reduction," IMF Working Papers 03/72, International Monetary Fund.
- Kraay, Aart & Raddatz, Claudio, 2005.
"Poverty traps, aid, and growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3631, The World Bank.
- Federica Misturelli & Claire Heffernan, 2008. "What is poverty? A diachronic exploration of the discourse on poverty from the 1970s to the 2000s," The European Journal of Development Research, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 666-684.
- P R Agénor, 2004.
"The Macroeconomics of Poverty Reduction,"
Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series
43, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Nyiwul Mabughi & Tarek Selim, 2006. "Poverty as social deprivation: a survey," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 64(2), pages 181-204.
- Pierre Richard AGÉNOR & Nihal BAYRAKTAR & Karim EL AYNAOUI, "undated".
"Roads out of Poverty? Assessing the Link between Aid, Public Investment, Growth and Poverty Reduction,"
- Agénor, Pierre-Richard & Bayraktar, Nihal & El Aynaoui, Karim, 2008. "Roads out of poverty? Assessing the links between aid, public investment, growth, and poverty reduction," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 277-295, June.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Bayraktar, Nihal & El Aynaoui, Karim, 2005. "Roads out of poverty? assessing the links between aid, public investment, growth, and poverty reduction," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3490, The World Bank.
- Marquette, Catherine M., 1997. "Current poverty, structural adjustment, and drought in Zimbabwe," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1141-1149, July.
- Carlos Farinha Rodrigues & Isabel Andrade, 2010.
"Monetary Poverty, Material Deprivation and Consistent Poverty in Portugal,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2010/25, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Carlos Farinha Rodrigues & Isabel Andrade, 2012. "Monetary Poverty, Material Deprivation and Consistent Poverty in Portugal," Notas Económicas, Faculty of Economics, University of Coimbra, issue 35, pages 20-39, June.
- Edinaldo Tebaldi & Ramesh Mohan, 2010. "Institutions and Poverty," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(6), pages 1047-1066.
- Ibrahim F. Akoum, 2008. "Globalization, growth, and poverty: the missing link," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(4), pages 226-238, March.
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Petrakis, P. E. & Stamatakis, D., 2002. "Growth and educational levels: a comparative analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 513-521, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:por:fepwps:460. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.