Monetary Poverty, Material Deprivation and Consistent Poverty in Portugal
In this paper we use the Portuguese component of the European Union Statistics on Income and Living Conditions (EU-SILC)to develop a measure of consistent poverty in Portugal. It is widely agreed that being poor does not simply mean not having enough monetary resources. It also reflects a lack of access to the resources required to enjoy a minimum standard of living and participation in the society one belongs to. The coexistence of material deprivation and monetary poverty leads to the concept of consistent poverty. The assessment of material deprivation and the identification of the households and individuals living in consistent poverty could become essential parts of the national anti-poverty strategy and crucial instruments in the definition of the target groups in social policy.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 35 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Dias da Silva, 165, 3004-512 COIMBRA|
Phone: + 351 239 790 500
Fax: + 351 239 40 35 11
Web page: http://impactum-journals.uc.pt/index.php/notaseconomicas
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BOSSERT, Walter & CHAKRAVARTY, Satya R. & D’AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2009.
"Multidimensional Poverty and Material Deprivation,"
Cahiers de recherche
2009-11, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Walter Bossert & Satya R. Chakravarty & Conchita D'Ambrosio, 2009. "Multidimensional poverty and material deprivation," Working Papers 129, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- BOSSERT, Walter & CHAKRAVARTY, Satya R. & D'AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2009. "Multidimensional Poverty and Material Deprivation," Cahiers de recherche 12-2009, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-766, May.
- Guio, Anne-Catherine & Fusco, Alessio & Marlier, Eric, 2009. "A European Union Approach to Material Deprivation using EU-SILC and Eurobarometer data," IRISS Working Paper Series 2009-19, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Koen Decancq & María Ana Lugo, 2013. "Weights in Multidimensional Indices of Wellbeing: An Overview," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 7-34, January.
- DECANCQ, Koen & LUGO, Maria Ana, "undated". "Weights in multidimensional indices of wellbeing: an overview," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2493, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Koen DECANCQ & María Ana LUGO, 2010. "Weights in multidimensional indices of well-being: an overview," Working Papers Department of Economics ces10.06, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Christopher T. Whelan & Brian Nolan & Bertrand Maitre, 2008. "Measuring Material Deprivation in the Enlarged EU," Papers WP249, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)