A weighted multidimensional index of child well-being which incorporates children’s individual perceptions
It has been a decade since a landmark piece of work on child well-being measurement based on a summary index was developed in the United States, the Index of Child and Youth Well-Being. Several research studies, both in the U.S. and Europe, followed on from this work. However, improvements in the methodologies used by researchers are still required, namely with regard to incorporating children’s own perspectives of their well-being, as well as involving them in the measurement process. In the present paper, a composite index is proposed in order to try overcoming three of the main methodological limitations of current studies: the short account for children’s perceptions on their own well-being, the use of aggregated data, and the use of uniform and other weighting schemes that do not translate the real weights of individual indicators.
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +351 226 196 200
Fax: +351 226 196 291
Web page: http://www.feg.porto.ucp.pt/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John P. Haisken-DeNew & Mathias Sinning, 2007.
"Social Deprivation and Exclusion of Immigrants in Germany,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
0031, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Haisken-DeNew, John P. & Sinning, Mathias, 2007. "Social Deprivation and Exclusion of Immigrants in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 3153, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John P. Haisken-DeNew & Mathias Sinning, 2007. "Social Deprivation and Exclusion of Immigrants in Germany," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 63, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Guio, Anne-Catherine & Fusco, Alessio & Marlier, Eric, 2009. "A European Union Approach to Material Deprivation using EU-SILC and Eurobarometer data," IRISS Working Paper Series 2009-19, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Amélia Bastos & Carla Machado, 2009. "Child poverty: a multidimensional measurement," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 237-251, January.
- Kenneth Land & Vicki Lamb & Sarah Mustillo, 2001. "Child and Youth Well-Being in the United States, 1975–1998: Some Findings from a New Index," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 56(3), pages 241-318, December.
- Asher Ben-Arieh, 2005. "Where are the Children? Children’s Role in Measuring and Monitoring Their Well-Being," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 74(3), pages 573-596, December.
- Koen Decancq & María Ana Lugo, 2013.
"Weights in Multidimensional Indices of Wellbeing: An Overview,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 7-34, January.
- Koen DECANCQ & María Ana LUGO, 2010. "Weights in multidimensional indices of well-being: an overview," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces10.06, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- DECANCQ, Koen & LUGO, Maria Ana, . "Weights in multidimensional indices of wellbeing: an overview," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2493, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Carlos Farinha Rodrigues & Isabel Andrade, 2012.
"Monetary Poverty, Material Deprivation and Consistent Poverty in Portugal,"
Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 35, pages 20-39, June.
- Carlos Farinha Rodrigues & Isabel Andrade, 2010. "Monetary Poverty, Material Deprivation and Consistent Poverty in Portugal," Working Papers Department of Economics 2010/25, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Liliana Fernandes & Américo Mendes & Aurora Teixeira, 2012. "A Review Essay on the Measurement of Child Well-Being," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 106(2), pages 239-257, April.
- Sarah Meadows & Kenneth Land & Vicki Lamb, 2005. "Assessing Gilligan Vs. Sommers: Gender-Specific Trends in Child and Youth Well-Being in the United States, 1985–2001," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 70(1), pages 1-52, January.
- Frank Andrews & Aubrey McKennell, 1980. "Measures of self-reported well-being: their affective, cognitive, and other components," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 127-155, June.
- Robert Cummins, 2003. "Normative Life Satisfaction: Measurement Issues and a Homeostatic Model," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 64(2), pages 225-256, November.
- Amelia Bastos & Graca Leao Fernandes, & Jose Passos, 2004. "Child income poverty and child deprivation: an essay on measurement," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(11/12), pages 1050-1060, October.
- Ben-Arieh, Asher & Goerge, Robert, 2001. "Beyond the numbers: How do we monitor the state of our children?," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(8), pages 603-631, August.
- Hans de Kruijk & Martine Rutten, 2007. "WEIGHTING DIMENSIONS OF POVERTY BASED ON PEOPLES PRIORITIES: Constructing a Composite Poverty Index for the Maldives," IIDE Discussion Papers 20070801, Institue for International and Development Economics.
- Kristin Moore & Sharon Vandivere, 2007. "Longitudinal indicators of the social context of families: beyond the snapshot," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 55-85, August.
- Gerry Redmond, 2008. "Children's Perspectives on Economic Adversity: A review of the literature," Innocenti Discussion Papers indipa08/2, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre.
- Asher Ben-Arieh, 2000. "Beyond Welfare: Measuring and Monitoring the State of Children – New Trends and Domains," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 52(3), pages 235-257, December.
- Kenneth Land & Vicki Lamb & Sarah Meadows & Ashley Taylor, 2007. "Measuring trends in child well-being: an evidence-based approach," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 80(1), pages 105-132, January.
- Ed Diener, 1994. "Assessing subjective well-being: Progress and opportunities," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 103-157, February.
- Jonathan Bradshaw & Petra Hoelscher & Dominic Richardson, 2007. "An Index of Child Well-being in the European Union," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 80(1), pages 133-177, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cap:wpaper:012011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ricardo Goncalves)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.