A weighted multidimensional index of child well-being which incorporates children’s individual perceptions
It has been a decade since a landmark piece of work on child well-being measurement based on a summary index was developed in the United States, the Index of Child and Youth Well-Being. Several research studies, both in the U.S. and Europe, followed on from this work. However, improvements in the methodologies used by researchers are still required, namely with regard to incorporating children’s own perspectives of their well-being, as well as involving them in the measurement process. In the present paper, a composite index is proposed in order to try overcoming three of the main methodological limitations of current studies: the short account for children’s perceptions on their own well-being, the use of aggregated data, and the use of uniform and other weighting schemes that do not translate the real weights of individual indicators.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua Dr. Roberto Frias, 4200 PORTO|
Web page: http://www.fep.up.pt/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John P. Haisken-DeNew & Mathias Sinning, 2007.
"Social Deprivation and Exclusion of Immigrants in Germany,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
63, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Haisken-DeNew, John P. & Sinning, Mathias, 2007. "Social Deprivation and Exclusion of Immigrants in Germany," Ruhr Economic Papers 31, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Haisken-DeNew, John P. & Sinning, Mathias, 2007. "Social Deprivation and Exclusion of Immigrants in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 3153, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Carlos Farinha Rodrigues & Isabel Andrade, 2010.
"Monetary Poverty, Material Deprivation and Consistent Poverty in Portugal,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2010/25, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Carlos Farinha Rodrigues & Isabel Andrade, 2012. "Monetary Poverty, Material Deprivation and Consistent Poverty in Portugal," Notas Económicas, Faculty of Economics, University of Coimbra, issue 35, pages 20-39, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:por:fepwps:415. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.