What If We Voted on the Weights of a Multidimensional Well‐Being Index? An Illustration with Flemish Data
There is a widespread consensus that well-being is a multidimensional notion. To quantify multidimensional well-being, information on the relative weights of the different dimensions is essential. There is, however, considerable disagreement in the literature on the most appropriate weighting scheme to be used. Making use of a recent data set for Flanders, we compare various methods to select a weighting scheme. The results are indeed different such that, for instance, a policymaker would identify different groups of individuals as being worst-off depending on the scheme that is chosen. In order to compare and evaluate the weighting schemes, we simulate the support each scheme would get in a hypothetical voting procedure. Weighting schemes that obtain a higher support reflect better the priorities of the respondents themselves and suffer less from the problem of paternalism. Quite remarkably, the popular equal weighting scheme is found to be the least supported in our data set.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 34 (2013)
Issue (Month): (09)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://www.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koen Decancq & Luc Van Ootegem & Elsy Verhofstadt, 2013.
"What If We Voted on the Weights of a Multidimensional Well‐Being Index? An Illustration with Flemish Data,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 34, pages 315-332, 09.
- Koen Decancq & Luc Van Ootegem & Elsy Verhofstadt, 2011. "What if we voted on the weights of a multidimensional well-being index? An illustration with Flemish data," Working Papers 1110, Herman Deleeck Centre for Social Policy, University of Antwerp.
- K. Decancq & L. Van Ootegem & E. Verhofstadt, 2011. "What If We Voted On The Weights Of A Multidimensional Well-Being Index? An Illustration With Flemish Data," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/762, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Koen DECANCQ & María Ana LUGO, 2010.
"Weights in multidimensional indices of well-being: an overview,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces10.06, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Koen Decancq & María Ana Lugo, 2013. "Weights in Multidimensional Indices of Wellbeing: An Overview," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 7-34, January.
- DECANCQ, Koen & LUGO, Maria Ana, . "Weights in multidimensional indices of wellbeing: an overview," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2493, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Walter Bossert & Satya R. Chakravarty & Conchita D'Ambrosio, 2009.
"Multidimensional poverty and material deprivation,"
129, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- BOSSERT, Walter & CHAKRAVARTY, Satya R. & D’AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2009. "Multidimensional Poverty and Material Deprivation," Cahiers de recherche 2009-11, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- BOSSERT, Walter & CHAKRAVARTY, Satya R. & D'AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2009. "Multidimensional Poverty and Material Deprivation," Cahiers de recherche 12-2009, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Michael Hagerty & Robert Cummins & Abbott Ferriss & Kenneth Land & Alex Michalos & Mark Peterson & Andrew Sharpe & Joseph Sirgy & Joachim Vogel, 2001. "Quality of Life Indexes for National Policy: Review and Agenda for Research," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 55(1), pages 1-96, July.
- Georges Nguefack-Tsague & Stephan Klasen & Walter Zucchini, 2011.
"On Weighting the Components of the Human Development Index: A Statistical Justification,"
Journal of Human Development and Capabilities,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 183-202.
- Georges Nguefack-Tsague & Stephan Klasen & Walter Zucchini, 2010. "On weighting the components of the Human Development Index: A statistical justification," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 37, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- L. Van Ootegem & E. Verhofstadt, 2010.
"Using capabilities as an alternative indicator for well-being,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
10/677, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Luc Ootegem & Elsy Verhofstadt, 2012. "Using Capabilities as an Alternative Indicator for Well-being," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 106(1), pages 133-152, March.
- Guio, Anne-Catherine & Fusco, Alessio & Marlier, Eric, 2009. "A European Union Approach to Material Deprivation using EU-SILC and Eurobarometer data," IRISS Working Paper Series 2009-19, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-2352 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dolan, Paul & Peasgood, Tessa & White, Mathew, 2008. "Do we really know what makes us happy A review of the economic literature on the factors associated with subjective well-being," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 94-122, February.
- Marc Fleurbaey & Alain Trannoy, 2003. "The impossibility of a Paretian egalitarian," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 243-263, October.
- Erik Schokkaert, 2007. "Capabilities and Satisfaction with Life," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 415-430.
- Laurens Cherchye & & Timo Kuosmanen, 2002.
"Benchmarking Sustainable Development: A Synthetic Meta-index Approach,"
0210001, EconWPA, revised 08 Oct 2002.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Kuosmanen, Timo, 2004. "Benchmarking Sustainable Development: A Synthetic Meta-index Approach," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Bernt Christian Brun & Bertil Tungodden, 2004. "Non-welfaristic theories of justice: Is “the intersection approach” a solution to the indexing impasse?," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 49-60, 02.
- Peyton Young, 1995. "Optimal Voting Rules," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 51-64, Winter.
- Erik Schokkaert & Luc Van Ootegem & Elsy Verhofstadt, 2011. "Preferences and Subjective Satisfaction: Measuring Well-being on the Job for Policy Evaluation," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 57(4), pages 683-714, December.
- Laurens Cherchye & Willem Moesen & Nicky Rogge & Tom Puyenbroeck, 2007. "An Introduction to ‘Benefit of the Doubt’ Composite Indicators," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 82(1), pages 111-145, May.
- Costanza, Robert & Fisher, Brendan & Ali, Saleem & Beer, Caroline & Bond, Lynne & Boumans, Roelof & Danigelis, Nicholas L. & Dickinson, Jennifer & Elliott, Carolyn & Farley, Joshua & Gayer, Diane Elli, 2007. "Quality of life: An approach integrating opportunities, human needs, and subjective well-being," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2-3), pages 267-276, March.
- Tauhidur Rahman, 2007. "Measuring the well-being across countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(11), pages 779-783.
- Koen Decancq & André Decoster & Erik Schokkaert, 2007.
"The evolution of World inequality in Well-being,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces0704, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Anand, Paul & van Hees, Martin, 2006. "Capabilities and achievements: An empirical study," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 268-284, April.
- M. Fleurbaey & A. Trannoy, 2000. "The Impossibility of a Paretian Egalitarian," THEMA Working Papers 2000-26, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- FLEURBAEY, Marc & SCHOKKAERT, Erik & DECANCQ, Koen, 2009. "What good is happiness?," CORE Discussion Papers 2009017, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luna Bellani, 2013. "Multidimensional indices of deprivation: the introduction of reference groups weights," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 495-515, December.
- Joseph Deutsch & Jacques Silber, 2005. "Measuring Multidimensional Poverty: An Empirical Comparison Of Various Approaches," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(1), pages 145-174, 03.
- Shyamal Chowdhury & Lyn Squire, 2006. "Setting weights for aggregate indices: An application to the commitment to development index and human development index," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(5), pages 761-771.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:fistud:v:34:y:2013:i::p:315-332. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benita Rajania)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.