Wage Traps as a Cause of Illiteracy, Child Labor, and Extreme Poverty
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Gärtner, Dennis L. & Gärtner, Manfred, 2011. "Wage traps as a cause of illiteracy, child labor, and extreme poverty," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 232-242, September.
References listed on IDEAS
- Dessing, Maryke, 2002. "Labor supply, the family and poverty: the S-shaped labor supply curve," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 433-458, December.
- Kraay, Aart & Raddatz, Claudio, 2007. "Poverty traps, aid, and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 315-347, March.
- Colin Camerer & Linda Babcock & George Loewenstein & Richard Thaler, 1997.
"Labor Supply of New York City Cabdrivers: One Day at a Time,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 112(2), pages 407-441.
- Camerer, Colin & Babcock, Linda & Loewenstein, George & Thaler, Richard, 1996. "Labor Supply of New York City Cab Drivers: One Day At A time," Working Papers 960, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Miracle, Marvin P, 1976. " Interpretation of Backward-sloping Labor Supply Curves in Africa," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 399-406, January.
- Pierre-Richard Agenor, 2005.
"The Macroeconomics Of Poverty Reduction,"
University of Manchester, vol. 73(4), pages 369-434, July.
- P R Agénor, 2004. "The Macroeconomics of Poverty Reduction," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 43, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Azariadis, Costas & Stachurski, John, 2005. "Poverty Traps," Handbook of Economic Growth,in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 5 Elsevier.
- Peter Jensen & Helena Skyt Nielsen, 1997.
"Child labour or school attendance? Evidence from Zambia,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 10(4), pages 407-424.
- Jensen, P. & Nielsen, H.S., 1996. "Child Labour or School Attendance? Evidence from Zambia," Papers 96-14, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- Blunch,Niels-Hugo & Verner,Dorte, 2000.
"Revisiting the link between poverty and child labor - the Ghanaian experience,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2488, The World Bank.
- Blunch, Niels-Hugo & Verner, Dorthe, 2001. "Revisiting the Link Between Poverty and Child Labor: The Ghanaian Experience," CLS Working Papers 01-3, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research.
- Basu, Kaushik & Van, Pham Hoang, 1998. "The Economics of Child Labor," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 412-427, June.
- Carol Ann Rogers & Kenneth A. Swinnerton, 1999. "The Economics of Child Labor: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1382-1385, December.
- Menno Pradhan & Arthur Van Soest, 1997. "Household Labor Supply In Urban Areas Of Bolivia," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 300-310, May.
- repec:mes:jeciss:v:34:y:2000:i:3:p:679-692 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anne O. Krueger, 1962. "The Implications of a Backward Bending Labor Supply Curve," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(4), pages 327-328.
- Sharif, Mohammed, 1991. "Poverty and the forward-falling labor supply function: A microeconomic analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 1075-1093, August.
- Pham Hoang Van & Kaushik Basu, 1999. "The Economics of Child Labor: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1386-1388, December.
- Edmonds, Eric V., 2006. "Child labor and schooling responses to anticipated income in South Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 386-414, December.
- World Bank, 2007. "Global Monitoring Report 2007 : Millennium Development Goals, Confronting the Challenges of Gender Equality and Fragile States," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6637.
- Maryke Dessing, 2008. "The S-shaped labor supply schedule: evidence from industrialized countries," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(6), pages 444-485, October.
- Mark R. Rosenzweig, 1980. "Neoclassical Theory and the Optimizing Peasant: An Econometric Analysis of Market Family Labor Supply in a Developing Country," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 94(1), pages 31-55.
- Barzel, Yoram & McDonald, Richard J, 1973. "Assets, Subsistence, and The Supply Curve of Labor," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(4), pages 621-633, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Manfred Gärtner, 2011.
"Labor Market Integration and Its Effect on Child Labor,"
Atlantic Economic Journal,
Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 39(2), pages 165-170, June.
- Gärtner, Manfred, 2011. "Labour market integration and its effect on child labour," Economics Working Paper Series 1123, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
More about this item
KeywordsSubsistence income; labor supply; poverty; child labor; wage trap; market failure; development; growth;
- J2 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor
- J4 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets
- O11 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usg:dp2008:2008-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joerg Baumberger). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vwasgch.html .