Labor supply, the family and poverty: the S-shaped labor supply curve
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Amartya K. Sen, 1966. "Peasants and Dualism with or without Surplus Labor," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 425-425.
- Gary S. Becker, 1981. "A Treatise on the Family," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck81-1.
- Tzannatos, Zafiris, 1999. "Women and Labor Market Changes in the Global Economy: Growth Helps, Inequalities Hurt and Public Policy Matters," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 551-569, March.
- Bliss, Christopher & Stern, Nicholas, 1978. "Productivity, wages and nutrition : Part I: the theory," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 331-362, December.
- Singh, Inderjit & Squire, Lyn & Strauss, John, 1986. "A Survey of Agricultural Household Models: Recent Findings and Policy Implications," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 1(1), pages 149-179, September.
- Dessing, M., 1990. "Support For Microenterprises; Lessons For Sub-Saharan Africa," Papers 122, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Rodgers, G B, 1975. "Nutritionally Based Wage Determination in the Low-Income Labour Market," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(1), pages 61-81, March.
- Miracle, Marvin P & Fetter, Bruce, 1970. "Backward-sloping Labor-Supply Functions and African Economic Behavior," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(2), pages 240-251, January.
- Miracle, Marvin P, 1976. " Interpretation of Backward-sloping Labor Supply Curves in Africa," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 399-406, January.
- Killingsworth, Mark R. & Heckman, James J., 1987. "Female labor supply: A survey," Handbook of Labor Economics,in: O. Ashenfelter & R. Layard (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 103-204 Elsevier.
- Guha, Ashok, 1989. "Consumption, efficiency and surplus labour," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-12, July.
- Meyer, Jack A, 1975. "The Impact of Welfare Benefit Levels and Tax Rates on the Labor Supply of Poor Women: Note," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(2), pages 236-238, May.
- Hernández-Licona, Gonzalo, 1997. "Oferta laboral familiar y desempleo en México. Los efectos de la pobreza," El Trimestre Económico, Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(256), pages 531-568, octubre-d.
- Kathryn Shaw, 1994. "The Persistence of Female Labor Supply: Empirical Evidence and Implications," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(2), pages 348-378.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1976. "The Efficiency Wage Hypothesis, Surplus Labour, and the Distribution of Income in L.D.C.s," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(2), pages 185-207, July.
- W. David Hopper, 1965. "Allocation Efficiency in a Traditional Indian Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 47(3), pages 611-624.
- Horton, Susan & Kanbur, Ravi & Mazumdar, Dipak, 1991. "Labor markets in an era of adjustment : an overview," Policy Research Working Paper Series 694, The World Bank.
- Bardhan, Pranab K, 1979. "Labor Supply Functions in a Poor Agrarian Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 73-83, March.
- Barzel, Yoram & McDonald, Richard J, 1973. "Assets, Subsistence, and The Supply Curve of Labor," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(4), pages 621-633, September.
- Bryan L. Boulier, 1976. "Children and Household Economic Activity in Laguna Philippines," UP School of Economics Discussion Papers 197619, University of the Philippines School of Economics.
- Sharif, Mohammed, 1991. "Poverty and the forward-falling labor supply function: A microeconomic analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 1075-1093, August.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Koyama, Mark, 2012. "The transformation of labor supply in the pre-industrial world," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 505-523.
- Bruce E. Kaufman, 2013. "Sidney and Beatrice Webb's Institutional Theory of Labor Markets and Wage Determination," Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 765-791, July.
- Manfred Gärtner, 2011.
"Labor Market Integration and Its Effect on Child Labor,"
Atlantic Economic Journal,
Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 39(2), pages 165-170, June.
- Gärtner, Manfred, 2011. "Labour market integration and its effect on child labour," Economics Working Paper Series 1123, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Ralitza Dimova & Jeffrey B. Nugent, 2006.
"Pulls, Pushes and Entitlement Failures in Labor Markets: Does the State of Development Matter?,"
CEDI Discussion Paper Series
06-07, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Dimova, Ralitza & Nugent, Jeffrey B., 2006. "Pulls, Pushes and Entitlement Failures in Labor Markets: Does the State of Development Matter?," IZA Discussion Papers 2258, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- repec:eee:transb:v:100:y:2017:i:c:p:175-195 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gärtner, Dennis L. & Gärtner, Manfred, 2011.
"Wage traps as a cause of illiteracy, child labor, and extreme poverty,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 232-242, September.
- Dennis L. Gärtner & Manfred Gärtner, 2008. "Wage Traps as a Cause of Illiteracy, Child Labor, and Extreme Poverty," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2008 2008-02, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Motkuri, Venkatanarayana, 2016. "Levels of Development and Female Labour Participation Rates in Rural India," MPRA Paper 84602, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jean-Louis Combes & Christian Hubert Ebeke & Mathilde Maurel & Thierry Yogo, 2011.
"Remittances and the Prevalence of Working Poor,"
- Jean-Louis Combes & Christian Hubert Ebeke & Mathilde Maurel & Thierry Yogo, 2011. "Remittances and the prevalence of working poor," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00587797, HAL.
- Jean-Louis Combes & Christian Ebeke & Mathilde Maurel & Thierry Yogo, 2011. "Remittances and the prevalence of working poor," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 11021, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Jean-Louis COMBES & Christian EBEKE & Mathilde MAUREL, 2011. "Remittances and the Prevalence of Working Poor," Working Papers 201109, CERDI.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Mark Rider & Riatu Qibthiyyah & Sally Wallace, 2006. "Who Bears the Burden of Taxes on Labor Income in Russia?," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0621, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Pyastolov, S.M., 2007. "Norms as indicators of human capital investments effectiveness," MPRA Paper 44451, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alma Espino & Fernando Isabella & Martín Leites & Alina Machado, 2012. "Elasticidad intertemporal y no compensada de la oferta laboral. Evidencia para el caso uruguayo," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 12-18, Instituto de Economía - IECON.
- repec:ecr:col070:41258 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pyastolov, S.M., 2010. "Thresholds in institutional spaces," MPRA Paper 43854, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roberto González & Hector Sala, 2015.
"The Frisch Elasticity in the Mercosur Countries: A Pseudo-Panel Approach,"
Development Policy Review,
Overseas Development Institute, vol. 33(1), pages 107-131, January.
- González, Roberto & Sala, Hector, 2011. "The Frisch Elasticity in the Mercosur Countries: A Pseudo-Panel Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 5993, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dessing, Maryke, 2004. "Implications for minimum-wage policies of an S-shaped labor-supply curve," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 543-568, April.
- Anthon, Signe & Lund, Jens Friis & Helles, Finn, 2008. "Targeting the poor: Taxation of marketed forest products in developing countries," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 197-224, June.
- Chang, Ching-Ter & Lin, Teng-Chiao, 2009. "Interval goal programming for S-shaped penalty function," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 199(1), pages 9-20, November.
- repec:ksp:journ4:v:4:y:2017:i:1:p:105-123 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mishra, SK, 2016. "Growth, Stagnation and Decline of a Village: An Autobiographical Essay on the Socio-economic History of Tarar, Bihar (India)," MPRA Paper 75226, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jessica S. Bean, 2015. "‘To help keep the home going’: female labour supply in interwar London," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 68(2), pages 441-470, May.
- Rizov, Marian, 2005. "Pull and push: individual farming in Hungary," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 43-62, February.
- Altman, Morris, 2014. "Insights from behavioral economics on how labor markets work," Working Paper Series 3466, Victoria University of Wellington, School of Economics and Finance.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jeborg:v:49:y:2002:i:4:p:433-458. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jebo .