Employment Growth in Rural India: Distress Driven?
The 61st round of NSS shows that there is a turnaround in employment growth in rural India after a phase of â€˜jobless growthâ€™. Paradoxically, this employment growth occurred during a period of wide spread distress in agriculture sector that include low productivity, price instability and stagnation leading to indebtedness. Under the typical neoclassical tradition, this trend would have predicted further contraction of employment in the rural economy. However, further probing reveals that employment growth in the rural areas is probably a response to the crisis that is gripping the agriculture sector. [WP No. 404].
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Bloom & David Canning & Günther Fink & Jocelyn Finlay, 2009.
"Fertility, female labor force participation, and the demographic dividend,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 79-101, June.
- David E. Bloom & David Canning & Günther Fink & Jocelyn E. Finlay, 2007. "Fertility, Female Labor Force Participation, and the Demographic Dividend," NBER Working Papers 13583, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David E. Bloom & David Canning & Guenther Fink & Jocelyn E. Finlay, 2007. "Fertility, Female Labor Force Participation, and the Demographic Dividend," PGDA Working Papers 2507, Program on the Global Demography of Aging.
- Kristin Mammen & Christina Paxson, 2000. "Women's Work and Economic Development," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 141-164, Fall.
- Sharif, Mohammed, 1991. "Poverty and the forward-falling labor supply function: A microeconomic analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 1075-1093, August.
- K. Sundaram, 2007.
"Employment and Poverty in India: 2000-2005,"
- K.N. Nair & Vineetha Menon & Vineetha Menon, 2007. "Agrarian distress and livelihood strategies: A Study in Pulpalli panchayat, Wayanad District, Kerala," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 396, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Singh, Inderjit & Squire, Lyn & Strauss, John, 1986. "A Survey of Agricultural Household Models: Recent Findings and Policy Implications," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 1(1), pages 149-79, September.
- Bardhan, Pranab K, 1979. "Labor Supply Functions in a Poor Agrarian Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 73-83, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:1824. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.