Labour market integration and its effect on child labour
This note demonstrates that when developing countries remove barriers to migration and integrate their labour markets, children may be driven out of schools and into informal or paid employment in the comparatively rich countries. In industrialized countries, the same mechanism might force individuals or families to hold multiple jobs, into public welfare programs or into government-subsidized employment.
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dufourstrasse 50, CH - 9000 St.Gallen|
Phone: +41 71 224 23 25
Fax: +41 71 224 31 35
Web page: http://www.seps.unisg.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Basu, Kaushik & Van, Pham Hoang, 1998. "The Economics of Child Labor," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 412-27, June.
- Dessing, Maryke, 2002. "Labor supply, the family and poverty: the S-shaped labor supply curve," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 433-458, December.
- Eric V. Edmonds, 2007.
NBER Working Papers
12926, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gärtner, Dennis L. & Gärtner, Manfred, 2011.
"Wage traps as a cause of illiteracy, child labor, and extreme poverty,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 232-242, September.
- Dennis L. Gärtner & Manfred Gärtner, 2008. "Wage Traps as a Cause of Illiteracy, Child Labor, and Extreme Poverty," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2008 2008-02, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Eric V. Edmonds & Norbert Schady, 2009.
"Poverty Alleviation and Child Labor,"
NBER Working Papers
15345, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carol Ann Rogers & Kenneth A. Swinnerton, 1999.
"The Economics of Child Labor: Comment,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1382-1385, December.
- Kaushik Basu, 1999.
"Child Labor: Cause, Consequence, and Cure, with Remarks on International Labor Standards,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1083-1119, September.
- Basu, Kaushik, 1998. "Child labor : cause, consequence, and cure, with remarks on International Labor Standards," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2027, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usg:econwp:2011:23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Flockerzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.