A bibliometric study of the cultural models in International Business research
Culture and the influence of national cultures and cultural differences have been widely studied in International Business (IB) research especially over the past three decades. To better understand what culture actually means and its implications on firms’ international operations, several cultural models and taxonomies have been put forward. In this paper we review the main cultural models in the extant IB research – Hofstede’s (1980), Hall’s (1976) and Troompenaars’ (1993) – and Kogut and Singh’s (1988) concept of cultural distance. In a bibliometric study of over 3,600 articles published in seven top ranked journals for IB research, we examine citations and co-citations to assess the relative use of the cultural models and the ties binding authors and theories studied. This study offers a wealth of information on the current state of IB-related research using culture that may be used to better understand the intellectual structure of the sub-field of cultural issues in IB studies but also to identify gaps for future inquiry. The results help setting a profile of the network of knowledge and permit us conclude that Hofstede’s (1980) taxonomy on cultural characteristics is the most cited cultural taxonomy and holds ties to many of the core streams of IB-related research. In fact, despite the well-known criticisms, there is an increasing use of Hofstede’s dimensions.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriel Hawawini & Venkat Subramanian & Paul Verdin, 2003. "Is performance driven by industry or firm-specific factors? A new look at the evidence," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14188, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Sander Wennekers & Roy Thurik & André Stel & Niels Noorderhaven, 2007.
"Uncertainty avoidance and the rate of business ownership across 21 OECD countries, 1976–2004,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 133-160, April.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Sander Wennekers & Niels Noorderhaven, 2006. "Uncertainty avoidance and the rate of business ownership across 21 OECD countries, 1976-2004," Scales Research Reports H200605, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Wennekers, A.R.M. & Thurik, A.R. & van Stel, A.J. & Noorderhaven, N., 2006. "Uncertainty Avoidance and the Rate of Business Ownership Across 21 OECD Countries, 1976-2004," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2006-065-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Frank L DuBois & David Reeb, 2000. "Ranking the International Business Journals," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(4), pages 689-704, December.
- Allen J Morrison & Andrew C Inkpen, 1991. "An Analysis of Significant Contributions to the International Business Literature," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(1), pages 143-153, March.
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- Buck, Trevor & Liu, Xiaohui & Ott, Ursula, 2010. "Long-term orientation and international joint venture strategies in modern China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 223-234, June.
- Andrew C Inkpen, 2001. "A Note on Ranking the International Business Journals," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(1), pages 193-196, March.
- Geert Hofstede, 1994. "Management Scientists Are Human," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(1), pages 4-13, January.
- Stephen Guisinger, 2001. "From OLI to OLMA: Incorporating Higher Levels of Environmental and Structural Complexity into the Eclectic Paradigm," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 257-272.
- P R Chandy & Thomas G E Williams, 1994. "The Impact of Journals and Authors on International Business Research: A Citational Analysis of JIBS Articles," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(4), pages 715-728, December.
- Laszlo Tihanyi & David A Griffith & Craig J Russell, 2005. "The effect of cultural distance on entry mode choice, international diversification, and MNE performance: a meta-analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(3), pages 270-283, May.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Oded Shenkar, 2001. "Cultural Distance Revisited: Towards a More Rigorous Conceptualization and Measurement of Cultural Differences," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 519-535, September.
- Thomas Hutzschenreuter & Johannes C. Voll & Alain Verbeke, 2011. "The Impact of Added Cultural Distance and Cultural Diversity on International Expansion Patterns: A Penrosean Perspective," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(2), pages 305-329, 03.
- Nes, Erik B. & Solberg, Carl Arthur & Silkoset, Ragnhild, 2007. "The impact of national culture and communication on exporter-distributor relations and on export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 405-424, August.
- Stephen J Gould & Andreas F Grein, 2009. "Think glocally, act glocally: a culture-centric comment on Leung, Bhagat, Buchan, Erez and Gibson (2005)," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(2), pages 237-254, February.
- Manuel Portugal Ferreira & Dan Li & Stephen Guisinger, 2007. "Is the 'International Business Environment' the Actual Context for IB Research?," Working Papers 2, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
- Jennifer Nevins & William Bearden & Bruce Money, 2007. "Ethical Values and Long-term Orientation," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 71(3), pages 261-274, March.
- John L. Graham & Alma T. Mintu & Waymond Rodgers, 1994. "Explorations of Negotiation Behaviors in Ten Foreign Cultures Using a Model Developed in the United States," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(1), pages 72-95, January.
- Karen L Newman & Stanley D Nollen, 1996. "Culture and Congruence: The Fit Between Management Practices and national Culture," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(4), pages 753-779, December.
- Davis, Paul & Papanek, Gustav F, 1984. "Faculty Ratings of Major Economics Departments by Citations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(1), pages 225-30, March.
- Frank M. Bass, 1969. "A New Product Growth for Model Consumer Durables," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(5), pages 215-227, January.
- Sunil Venaik & Paul Brewer, 2010. "Avoiding uncertainty in Hofstede and GLOBE," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(8), pages 1294-1315, October.
- Chan, Kam C. & Fung, Hung-Gay & Leung, Wai K., 2006. "International business research: Trends and school rankings," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 317-338, August.
- Ran Lachman & Albert Nedd & Bob Hinings, 1994. "Analyzing Cross-National Management and Organizations: A Theoretical Framework," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(1), pages 40-55, January.
- Rodrigo Martins & Fernando Ribeiro Serra & AndrÃ© da Silva Leite & Manuel Portugal Ferreira & Dan Li, 2010. "Transactions Cost Theory influence in strategy research: A review through a bibliometric study in leading journals," Working Papers 61, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pil:wpaper:104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nuno Reis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.