University-to-work transitions: the case of Perugia
The paper investigated on job transitions of graduates at the University of Perugia into the territory of the province of Perugia. In short, the paper has the following structure: after a review of the literature on university-to-work transition, original empirical results - adopting different statistical and econometric instruments - are presented and, finally, some policy implications are highlighted. University administrative information and data from the job centres of the province of Perugia are matched to reconstruct the timing of the university to job transitions of graduates at the University of Perugia since January 2004 to July 2009. Non-parametric Kaplan-Meier (KM) method and Cox proportional hazard model with competing risk are used, respectively, to estimate the survival functions and to determine the role of individual and studying characteristics in affecting the employment probabilities of graduates from a supply side point of view. Notwithstanding the paper is in a preliminary version, some key results are useful for deriving crucial considerations and policy implications.
|Date of creation:||15 Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 075 5855279
Fax: +39 075 5855299
Web page: http://www.econ.unipg.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim B. Clark & Lawrence H. Summers, 1978.
"The Dynamics of Youth Unemployment,"
NBER Working Papers
0274, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alison L. Booth & Marco Francesconi & Jeff Frank, 2002.
"Temporary Jobs: Stepping Stones Or Dead Ends?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(480), pages F189-F213, June.
- Booth, Alison L. & Francesconi, Marco & Frank, Jeff, 2000. "Temporary Jobs: Stepping Stones or Dead Ends?," IZA Discussion Papers 205, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alison L. Booth & Marco Francesconi & Jeff Frank, 2002. "Temporary Jobs: Stepping Stones or Dead Ends?," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 8, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Mauro, Luciano & Carmeci, Gaetano, 2003. "Long run growth and investment in education: Does unemployment matter?," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 123-137, March.
- repec:lan:wpaper:4772 is not listed on IDEAS
- M J Andrews & S Bradley & D Scott, 2001. "The School-to-Work Transition, Skill Preferences and Matching," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0102, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Quintini, Glenda & Martin, John P. & Martin, Sébastien, 2007. "The Changing Nature of the School-to-Work Transition Process in OECD Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 2582, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Juan F. Jimeno & Diego Rodríguez-Palenzuela, 2003.
"Youth Unemployment in the OECD: Demographic Shifts, Labour Market Institutions and Macroeconomic Shocks,"
Economics Working Papers
019, European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes.
- Jimeno, Juan F. & Rodriguez-Palenzuela, Diego, 2002. "Youth unemployment in the OECD: demographic shifts, labour market institutions, and macroeconomic shocks," Working Paper Series 0155, European Central Bank.
- Cristiano Perugini & Marcello Signorelli, 2010. "Youth labour market performance in European regions," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 151-185, May.
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & Thomas Lemieux & David N. Margolis, 2000.
"Minimum Wages and Youth Employment in France and the United States,"
in: Youth Employment and Joblessness in Advanced Countries, pages 427-472
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & Thomas Lemieux & David N. Margolis, 1997. "Minimum Wages and Youth Employment in France and the United States," NBER Working Papers 6111, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & Thomas Lemieux & David Margolis, 2000. "Minimum Wages and Youth Employment in France and the United States," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00354400, HAL.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Francesco Pastore, 2007. "The Youth Experience Gap: Explaining Differences across EU Countries," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 41/2007, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia.
- Heckman, James J & Borjas, George J, 1980. "Does Unemployment Cause Future Unemployment? Definitions, Questions and Answers from a Continuous Time Model of Heterogeneity and State Dependence," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(187), pages 247-83, August.
- Maite Blázquez Cuesta & J. Ignacio García Pérez, 2007.
"School to work transitions and the impact of public expenditure on education,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2007/10, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Blázquez, Maite & García, José Ignacio, 2007. "School To Work Transitions And The Impact Of Public Expenditure On Education," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2007/08, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Maite Blázquez & José Ignacio García Pérez, 2007. "School to Work Transitions and the Impact of Public Expenditure on Education," Working Papers 2007-13, FEDEA.
- repec:lan:wpaper:4470 is not listed on IDEAS
- Niall O'Higgins, 2005.
"Trends in the Youth Labour Market in Developing and Transition Countries,"
Labor and Demography
- Niall O'Higgins, 2003. "Trends in the youth labour market in developing and transition countries," Social Protection Discussion Papers 27876, The World Bank.
- Giuseppe Bertola & Francine Blau & Lawrence Kahn, 2007.
"Labor market institutions and demographic employment patterns,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 833-867, October.
- Giuseppe Bertola & Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2002. "Labor Market Institutions and Demographic Employment Patterns," NBER Working Papers 9043, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bertola, Giuseppe & Blau, Francine D & Kahn, Lawrence, 2002. "Labour Market Institutions and Demographic Employment Patterns," CEPR Discussion Papers 3448, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olga Demidova & Marcello Signorelli, 2010. "The Impact of Crises on Youth Unemployment of Russian Regions: An Empirical Analysis," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 78/2010, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia.
- Misbah Tanveer Choudhry & Enrico Marelli & Marcello Signorelli, 2010. "The Impact of Financial Crises on Youth Unemployment Rate," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 79/2010, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia.
- Alexandre KOLEV & Catherine SAGET, 2005. "Understanding youth labour market disadvantage: Evidence from south-east Europe," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 144(2), pages 161-187, 06.
- Alessandra Righi & Dario Sciulli, 2009. "The Timing of the School-to-Permanent Work Transition: a Comparison across Ten European Countries," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 65/2009, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006.
"Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
486, OECD Publishing.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006. "Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 35, OECD Publishing.
- repec:lan:wpaper:969 is not listed on IDEAS
- World Demographic and Ageing Forum & David Bell & Alison Bowes & Axel Heitmueller, 2007. "Did the Introduction of Free Personal Care in Scotland in a Reduction of Informal Care?," Journal Article y:2007:i:1, World Demographic and Ageing Forum.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1023 is not listed on IDEAS
- David Neumark & William Wascher, 1999. "A Cross-National Analysis of the Effects of Minimum Wages on Youth Employment," NBER Working Papers 7299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521793100 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carmeci Gaetano & Chies Laura, 2006. "Hysteresis in unemployment: do structural breaks and aggregation matter? The case of Italy," Politica economica - Journal of Economic Policy (PEJEP), Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 233-258.
- Lucie Davoine & Christine Erhel & Mathilde Guergoat-Larivière, 2008. "A Taxonomy of European Labour Markets Using Quality Indicators," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00317280, HAL.
- repec:lan:wpaper:4345 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daniele Checchi, 2003. "The Italian educational system: family background and social stratification," Departmental Working Papers 2003-01, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Biagi, Federico & Lucifora, Claudio, 2005. "Demographic and Education Effects on Unemployment in Europe: Economic Factors and Labour Market Institutions," IZA Discussion Papers 1806, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- J Taylor & A N Nguyen, 2003. "Transition from school to first job: the influence of educational attainment," Working Papers 540112, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pia:wpaper:77/2010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Davide Castellani)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.